In case it interests the group.

  • murph
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 11, 2012
      Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in the shrinkwrap.  I took it because I thought that the club may have a use for it.  (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)

      If not maybe the club wants to put it on a shelf for 20 years, in case it gets more interesting over time. :)

      --
      Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 11, 2012
        Murph,

        I have been saving these cards myself, sooner or later they will be good to
        have.

        I noticed your Team Amiga thing. I have a Video Toaster 4000 on Ebay at
        the moment....currently it's going for $26....I am located in Wilmington,
        Delaware. If you're not interested in that, maybe there is other Amiga
        stuff you need or would like to trade.

        Bill Degnan

        > Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in
        > the shrinkwrap. I took it because I thought that the club may have a
        use
        > for it. (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)
        >
        > If not maybe the club wants to put it on a shelf for 20 years, in case
        it
        > gets more interesting over time. :)
        >

        > --
        > Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
        >
        > <http://identi.ca/murph>
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 11, 2012
          On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, murph wrote:

          > Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in
          > the shrinkwrap. I took it because I thought that the club may have a use
          > for it. (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)

          Depending on the alpha suffix, it may be worth saving because of the
          floppy controller on board. According to Dave Dunfield's list, the 1542CF
          can do single-density at 250, 300 and 500kbps data rates.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 11, 2012
            On 01/11/2012 01:22 PM, murph wrote:
            > Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in
            > the shrinkwrap. I took it because I thought that the club may have a
            > use for it. (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)
            >
            > If not maybe the club wants to put it on a shelf for 20 years, in case
            > it gets more interesting over time. :)

            Wow, that brings back some memories! I bought one of those *brand
            new* back in the day, for something crazy like $300 I think. I saved up
            quite a while for it. I think that was around 1988. They're great cards.

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 11, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, murph <murphnj@...> wrote:
              > Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card

              That's a good friend to give you such a nice card. I believe the 1452CF was the best SCSI card for the ISA bus, with its Z80 processor!
            • murph
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM, murph <murph@...> wrote:
                Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in the shrinkwrap.  I took it because I thought that the club may have a use for it.  (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)

                If not maybe the club wants to put it on a shelf for 20 years, in case it gets more interesting over time. :)

                So, I don't recall if the club itself has any interest in this, I can bring it on Sunday.

                If the club isn't, Bill, are you still up for some sort of trade?

                --
                Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

              • Kelly D. Leavitt
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                  If Bill isn't then I am.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                    At 09:18 AM 5/1/2012, you wrote:

                    On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM, murph <murph@...> wrote:
                    Last night, someone gave me an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card, brand new, in the shrinkwrap.  I took it because I thought that the club may have a use for it.  (Getting old SCSI devices hooked up)

                    If not maybe the club wants to put it on a shelf for 20 years, in case it gets more interesting over time. :)

                    So, I don't recall if the club itself has any interest in this, I can bring it on Sunday.

                    If the club isn't, Bill, are you still up for some sort of trade?

                    Which Bill, me?  What year is the card?  I need any SCSI cards or drives at this time.  Probably this is too new for MARCH, but we have not really tackled the someday vintage "post vintage" question as far as long term storage goes.  Personally I have been setting aside items in the 1990-2000 range that I think will be hard to find for repairs, but not historical per se.

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                      Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                      interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                      and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                      not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
                      system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
                      installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
                      together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
                      I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
                      SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
                      90's tech, when it's practically free.
                    • murph
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                        On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                        Which Bill, me?  What year is the card?  I need any SCSI cards or drives at this time.  Probably this is too new for MARCH, but we have not really tackled the someday vintage "post vintage" question as far as long term storage goes.  Personally I have been setting aside items in the 1990-2000 range that I think will be hard to find for repairs, but not historical per se.

                        Yes, you. :)

                        Murph,

                        I have been saving these cards myself, sooner or later they will be good to
                        have.

                        I noticed your Team Amiga thing. I have a Video Toaster 4000 on Ebay at
                        the moment....currently it's going for $26....I am located in Wilmington,
                        Delaware. If you're not interested in that, maybe there is other Amiga
                        stuff you need or would like to trade.

                        Bill Degnan

                        I don't have anything specific that I'm looking for Amiga-wise, but I am always looking for decent 2000 parts, or if that 4000 Toaster didn't go. :)

                        --
                        Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                          Which Bill, me?  What year is the card?  I need any SCSI cards or drives at this time.  Probably this is too new for MARCH, but we have not really tackled the someday vintage "post vintage" question as far as long term storage goes.  Personally I have been setting aside items in the 1990-2000 range that I think will be hard to find for repairs, but not historical per se.

                          I mean I *don't* need any SCIS cards or drives at this time.  I have plenty already.
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                            On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                            > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                            > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                            > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                            > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
                            > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
                            > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
                            > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
                            > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
                            > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
                            > 90's tech, when it's practically free.

                            Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
                            With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
                            drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.

                            Speaking of which, it was not my intention to hoard this particular
                            type of drive, but I have lots...well over two hundred...Seagate
                            Barracuda 4.3GB 68-pin differential (not LVD!) SCSI drives. These are
                            really tough to find. If anyone needs them, they are available for the
                            asking.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                              At 12:57 PM 5/1/2012, you wrote:
                              >On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                              > > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                              > > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                              > > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                              > > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
                              > > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
                              > > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
                              > > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
                              > > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
                              > > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
                              > > 90's tech, when it's practically free.
                              >
                              > Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
                              >With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
                              >drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.
                              >
                              > Speaking of which, it was not my intention to hoard this particular
                              >type of drive, but I have lots...well over two hundred...Seagate
                              >Barracuda 4.3GB 68-pin differential (not LVD!) SCSI drives. These are
                              >really tough to find. If anyone needs them, they are available for the
                              >asking.

                              I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

                              Bill
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                On Tue, 1 May 2012, B Degnan wrote:

                                > I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

                                Ditto.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • J. Alexander Jacocks
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                  On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                                  On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                                  > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                                  > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                                  > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                                  > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
                                  > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
                                  > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
                                  > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
                                  > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
                                  > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
                                  > 90's tech, when it's practically free.

                                  Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
                                  With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
                                  drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.
                                   <snip>

                                  I tend to agree...I've been trying to get my hands on as many 9 and 18gb fast/narrow disks as I can.  These are extremely useful, and have less years on them than most narrow disks.  I have 4-5 in my disk storage box, so far.  I use them in my 68k Macs, my early SPARCstations, my Amigas, and others.

                                  - Alex
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                    I have a few Seagates 9-18 gb

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                      On 05/01/2012 03:20 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                                      > I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

                                      You (and Mike too) are always welcome. It's a bit of a mess right
                                      now, and will be for awhile, so you have been warned. ;)

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • murph
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                                        On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

                                        If Bill isn't then I am.

                                        Will you be at VCF on Sunday?

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                                          Yes, I will be there both days. Look for me at the consignment area.

                                          Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                                          <http://identi.ca/murph>
                                        • s100doctor
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                                            B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                            > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                                            > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                                            > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                                            > not for sale, but for future restoration projects.

                                            Since this is off-topic....I run a used Mac business, especially the 68K and early PowerPC Macs. So I'm actively looking for the early 50-pin SCSI-1 type drives they used. Drives with Apple logos/name on them are particularly desirable. Anyone with these to sell, contact me off-list; also I'll be at the VCF-E. Thank you.

                                            Herb Johnson
                                          • murph
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 4, 2012
                                              On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

                                              Yes, I will be there both days. Look for me at the consignment area.

                                              I'll try to bring it with me.

                                              --
                                              Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.