VCF workshop instructors needed!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
      We need volunteers to run this year's VCF workshops.

      Saturday workshops:

      - Intro to Commodore 8-bit Maintenance (11:30-12:30, with Bil Herd as
      co-instructor)
      - Intro to Intro to Vintage Software Backup & Recovery (10:00-11:30)
      - Intro to DEC Minicomputer Collecting (11:30-12:30)

      Sunday workshops:

      - Intro to S-100 Care & Feeding (10:00-11:30)
      - Intro to Apple II Series Maintenance (11:30-12:30)
      - Vector graphics DIY (10:00-12:30, Dan R. is already leading this)

      It's okay for the same person to lead multiple workshops, or for two
      people to co-lead a workshop. If more than two people volunteer to lead
      one workshop, then we'll work with them to determine who is most
      qualified (combo of subject knowledge and ability/comfort as a teacher).

      There will be two lectures (subjects/speakers to be determined) in
      parallel with each day's workshop schedule.

      Also, there will be a keynote each day at 12:30 (I previously said noon;
      had to change that.) All workshops end before that, because the
      BASIC/Kurtz keynote will be a packed house, and I hope to announce
      something equally awesome for Sunday's keynote .... already working on
      someone GREAT ... he just hasn't confirmed yet. Soon, I hope!!!

      PS - Yes, I know some of the slots are 90 minutes and others are just
      60. It's complicated but there are good reasons. Remember, these
      workshops are designed to teach the basics, not to make you an expert.
      Also, other than Dan's workshop, there is no charge and no maximum class
      size for these!
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012
        On 01/10/2012 01:33 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > We need volunteers to run this year's VCF workshops.
        >
        > Saturday workshops:
        >
        > - Intro to Commodore 8-bit Maintenance (11:30-12:30, with Bil Herd as
        > co-instructor)
        > - Intro to Intro to Vintage Software Backup& Recovery (10:00-11:30)
        > - Intro to DEC Minicomputer Collecting (11:30-12:30)
        >
        > Sunday workshops:
        >
        > - Intro to S-100 Care& Feeding (10:00-11:30)
        > - Intro to Apple II Series Maintenance (11:30-12:30)
        > - Vector graphics DIY (10:00-12:30, Dan R. is already leading this)

        This workshop will actually have a kit to build, so maybe you can title it
        - Vector Graphics Kit
        Also, I really think this workshop should have an exception and start at
        say 9:30am. The extra 30min will really help to get everyone prepared to
        start building the kit, and testing it before time runs out. The other
        reason, I'm sure most of the people in this workshop would be expecting
        to attend the Dan Kottke lecture at 12:30 that day. I like to avoid
        leaving people stuck with unfinished kits as much as possible.

        Also, in general, you like to leave some time, say 15min, between the
        workshops and the big lectures - Kurtz and Kottke - so those people have
        a chance to wrap up the end of the workshop and then find a seat at
        these lectures too. Especially when there's several more workshops this
        year.

        =Dan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012
          > This workshop will actually have a kit to build, so maybe you can title it - Vector Graphics Kit

          Will do. The names on that list for just for internal use.

          > Also, I really think this workshop should have an exception and start at
          > say 9:30am.

          Not sure if we can. Logistical issues. Will try.

          > Also, in general, you like to leave some time, say 15min, between the workshops and the big lectures - Kurtz and Kottke - so those people have a chance to wrap up the end of the workshop and then find a seat at these lectures too. Especially when there's several more workshops this year.

          I know. Trying to fit in a LOT of stuff this year. Some things will just
          have to abut or even overlap other things. Can't please all of the
          people all of the time .....