RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: gold in old chips - anyone have the facts?

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2012
      Bee Dee wrote:
      > I have a VERY hard time believing there is $18 worth of gold in ANY
      > chip.
      >
      > At a current ~$1,600 per ounce ($1,900 all-time high), or ~$50.00 per
      > gram, which is pretty high right now, that would be about 1/2 gram of
      > gold in a chip? I don't know, sounds like 'too much gold' to me. (even
      > though gold is very heavy, that's still a lot of gold, relatively
      > speaking)
      >
      > And that's for 'pure gold'. What karat gold do they use in chips?
      >
      > Plus all of the chemicals and time and the processes involved, all of
      > which cuts into your bottom dollar.

      Not to mention disposing of the waste (mercury, arsenic, acids...) in
      an environmentally responsible way which only the big responsible
      companies do. And they only do it because the regulators force them.
      That's why I discourage anyone who asks me about precious metal "recovery".
      Yes, the electronic components may leach a little in the landfill, but
      that's nothing compared to some fool dumping a bucket of spent "processing
      chemicals" down the drain or worse, tossing it into the gutter, the local
      stream, his neighbor's back yard, etc...

      </soap_box>