Re: Monrobot Computer History

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
      > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before.
      > Why was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

      I was going to guess that it was related to the Flexowriter's pre-ASCII character encoding but the character chart doesn't seem to support that. Many strange and wonderful things were done before ROM was available (*1)

      One place I worked skimped on the ROM monitor so the TTY printed "half-ascii" for hex: 0-9 and ":;<=>?" instead of A-F since that's just 30-3F hex (060 - 077 octal). I called half-assed key.

      -- jeff jonas

      *1: there were many ways to make ROM before chips, such as arrays of diodes, rope memory, etc. but that was really expensive and took a lot of space