Monroe Calculating Device

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
      I know that this is a bit off the main purpose of this group, but I
      figured that someone here might have some information on a mechanical
      calculator. I don't have much information about it, beyond what I
      read on Wikipedia, and this picture. (attached)

      A friend of my father-in-law has the device in the picture, and is
      looking to restore it. In order to do that, he wants to find more
      information on the device, and is really hoping to track down a
      service manual. Apparently this particular calculator was made
      between the 30s and 60s

      Does anyone have any knowledge about similar devices, or know any
      people/groups who would?

      Thanks!
      - Alex
    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
        You should try vintage calculator sites for more information.
        Google is your friend.
        You didn't give a model number so it makes it difficult to help you.
        Try these sites.
        The first looks similar to your photo. The next two are the different pages from
        the same site.
        .
        http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/monroe_ln-160x.html
        http://home.vicnet.net.au/~wolff/calculators/Monroe/Monroe.htm

        Technical info
        http://home.vicnet.net.au/~wolff/calculators/Tech/TechIndex.htm

        Notes on overhauling a mechanical calculator.
        http://home.vicnet.net.au/~wolff/calculators/Tech/Overhaul/Overhaul.htm

        BillDrom

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
          I have a few of these at least similar to this one. Mostly you need to
          clean it and trace the levers to see what they do. Usually these are
          robust and will still function if clean and not all gunked up. check the
          print hammer condition. Otherwise, just take notes and figure out how to
          add, subtract etc. It's not like a modern calculator.

          Bill Degnan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
            Sorry, this may not have a print hammer.

            Bill Degnan

            <snip>
            check the
            > print hammer condition.
          • John Best
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
              As it happens, I have one of these, or one very similar. And other old calculators as well.
              I'd just like to give them to someone who might appreciate them
              John
              (609 306 3151)

              On 1/7/2012 11:42 AM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

              I know that this is a bit off the main purpose of this group, but I
              figured that someone here might have some information on a mechanical
              calculator. I don't have much information about it, beyond what I
              read on Wikipedia, and this picture. (attached)

              A friend of my father-in-law has the device in the picture, and is
              looking to restore it. In order to do that, he wants to find more
              information on the device, and is really hoping to track down a
              service manual. Apparently this particular calculator was made
              between the 30s and 60s

              Does anyone have any knowledge about similar devices, or know any
              people/groups who would?

              Thanks!
              - Alex

            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
                >>> As it happens, I have one of these, or one very similar. And other old calculators as well. I'd just like to give them to someone who might appreciate them. John

                John,

                I think that's your first post here -- welcome to our group. Please introduce yourself -- what your interests in vintage computing are, how you found us, where you live, etc.

                - Evan K. (club prez)
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
                  Message
                  These sort of devices can be quite valuable if in working order...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
                    Geez... do these pictures bring back memories. A Monroe LN-160X (or very similar) was my primary computing device back in my first career in research at General Foods (68-73). Square roots required a lot of cranking. I made that little calculator sing - literally as the gears made a distinctive sound during division. The folding legs were needed to raise the crank clear of the desk to allow cranking. The small size was an asset as I could just fit it in my brief case to bring it home to do my income taxes.

                    Jim