Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF -- you know, for kids!

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
      >> Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning, and they got very bored, very quickly.
      >>
      > The website explains but the flyer didn't.
      > http://vintage.org/2011/east/vcfeast7flier.pdf.

      I misread your message on my phone this morning. Now I'm re-reading it
      on the computer and it makes a lot more sense. Yes, I did a poor job on
      the flier last year. Note to self, don't do that again. :)

      I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
      widely as possible and people magically show up.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
        >widely as possible and people magically show up.

        I found out about VCF and MARCH when you posted a message to some of
        the usenet computer related newsgroups. I don't recall if I saw any
        postings there in recent years. Perhaps, you should consider that as
        one of the advertising venues again.

        It seems to me that the under-40 crowd are more geared to the social
        media sites. Are there computer related group or discussion lists on
        Facebook where you could announce VCF? I don't Facebook, so I may be
        far off base here.

        Send copies of VCF flier to the science, math and computer departments
        c/o local area schools and colleges. I know, postage costs money, but
        that might open up more possibiities.

        Autowrap that Miata with an advertisement people will see and read as
        you trek back and forth on the GSP. ;) ;)
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
          I had a game set up on one of my Apple II's in the exhibit areas last year and invited the kids that were visiting with parents to try it. That was good for a few minutes. I think a number of the other exhibitors were doing the same. I've done crystal radio projects with cub scouts (this is grade school age group) a few times and even that was a stretch in terms of focus for most of them. The parents did most of the work.

          How about a few systems set up to run the classic "Oregon Trail", with a small reward for anyone who completes the game. This is one of the few classic games that either of my son's has actually got interested in.

          Regards,
          Mike Willegal

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
            Works for middle school kids but who will run this?
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.