Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

      ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
      >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
      >Syntax error Ok
      >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
      >Type mismatch
      >Ok

      You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

      >I guess that's FORTRAN.

      No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
      Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
      into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
      write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
      string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
      structions from the original posted code.

      FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
        On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
        >
        > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
        >
        > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
        >
        > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
        >
        > I will update the VCF site tonight.

        This. Is. AWESOME.

        Thank you for making this happen!

        Dave McGuire
        New Kensington, PA
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          Dan,

          Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

          I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
          =Dan