Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

  • ysgdhio
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
      > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
      >
      > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
      > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

      A>mbasic
      BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
      [CP/M Version]
      Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
      Created: 28-Jul-81
      34872 Bytes free
      Ok
      DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
      Syntax error
      Ok
      PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
      Type mismatch
      Ok

      I guess that's FORTRAN.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

        ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
        >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
        >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
        >Syntax error Ok
        >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
        >Type mismatch
        >Ok

        You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

        >I guess that's FORTRAN.

        No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
        Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
        into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
        write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
        string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
        structions from the original posted code.

        FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
          >
          > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
          >
          > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
          >
          > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
          >
          > I will update the VCF site tonight.

          This. Is. AWESOME.

          Thank you for making this happen!

          Dave McGuire
          New Kensington, PA
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
            On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            Dan,

            Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

            I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
            =Dan