Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      Dan,

      Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet? Or is it top secret?

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
        > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
        >
        > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
        > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

        A>mbasic
        BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
        [CP/M Version]
        Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
        Created: 28-Jul-81
        34872 Bytes free
        Ok
        DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
        Syntax error
        Ok
        PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
        Type mismatch
        Ok

        I guess that's FORTRAN.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

          ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
          >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
          >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
          >Syntax error Ok
          >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
          >Type mismatch
          >Ok

          You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

          >I guess that's FORTRAN.

          No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
          Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
          into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
          write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
          string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
          structions from the original posted code.

          FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
            On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
            >
            > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
            >
            > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
            >
            > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
            >
            > I will update the VCF site tonight.

            This. Is. AWESOME.

            Thank you for making this happen!

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
              On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              Dan,

              Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

              I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
              =Dan