Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      Nice Work !!
      Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
      =Dan

       _  ____
      / \__/
      Scotty, We Need More Power !!
      \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
        Dan,

        Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet? Or is it top secret?

        Bill Degnan

        > Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
        > =Dan
        >
        > _ ____
        > / \__/ Scotty, We Need More Power !!
        > \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
          > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
          >
          > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
          > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

          A>mbasic
          BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
          [CP/M Version]
          Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
          Created: 28-Jul-81
          34872 Bytes free
          Ok
          DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
          Syntax error
          Ok
          PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
          Type mismatch
          Ok

          I guess that's FORTRAN.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

            ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
            >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
            >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
            >Syntax error Ok
            >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
            >Type mismatch
            >Ok

            You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

            >I guess that's FORTRAN.

            No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
            Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
            into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
            write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
            string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
            structions from the original posted code.

            FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
              On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
              >
              > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
              >
              > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
              >
              > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
              >
              > I will update the VCF site tonight.

              This. Is. AWESOME.

              Thank you for making this happen!

              Dave McGuire
              New Kensington, PA
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                Dan,

                Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

                I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
                =Dan