Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:

      >10 T$="AWESOME!"
      >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
      >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
      >40 NEXT I

      I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:

      DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
      PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

        > "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:
        >
        > >10 T$="AWESOME!"
        > >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
        > >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
        > >40 NEXT I

        !
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          Nice Work !!
          Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
          =Dan

           _  ____
          / \__/
          Scotty, We Need More Power !!
          \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
            Dan,

            Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet? Or is it top secret?

            Bill Degnan

            > Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
            > =Dan
            >
            > _ ____
            > / \__/ Scotty, We Need More Power !!
            > \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
              > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
              >
              > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
              > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

              A>mbasic
              BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
              [CP/M Version]
              Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
              Created: 28-Jul-81
              34872 Bytes free
              Ok
              DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
              Syntax error
              Ok
              PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
              Type mismatch
              Ok

              I guess that's FORTRAN.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

                ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
                >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
                >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
                >Syntax error Ok
                >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
                >Type mismatch
                >Ok

                You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

                >I guess that's FORTRAN.

                No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
                Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
                into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
                write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
                string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
                structions from the original posted code.

                FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                  On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
                  >
                  > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
                  >
                  > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
                  >
                  > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
                  >
                  > I will update the VCF site tonight.

                  This. Is. AWESOME.

                  Thank you for making this happen!

                  Dave McGuire
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                    On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                    Dan,

                    Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

                    I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
                    =Dan