re: [midatlanticretro] GREAT news - VCF keynote

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      Awesome!

      Bill Degnan

      -------- Original Message --------

    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
        > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz.

        10 T$="AWESOME!"
        20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
        30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
        40 NEXT I
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:

          >10 T$="AWESOME!"
          >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
          >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
          >40 NEXT I

          I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:

          DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
          PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

            > "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:
            >
            > >10 T$="AWESOME!"
            > >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
            > >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
            > >40 NEXT I

            !
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
              Nice Work !!
              Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
              =Dan

               _  ____
              / \__/
              Scotty, We Need More Power !!
              \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                Dan,

                Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet? Or is it top secret?

                Bill Degnan

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
                  > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
                  >
                  > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
                  > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

                  A>mbasic
                  BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
                  [CP/M Version]
                  Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
                  Created: 28-Jul-81
                  34872 Bytes free
                  Ok
                  DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
                  Syntax error
                  Ok
                  PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
                  Type mismatch
                  Ok

                  I guess that's FORTRAN.
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

                    ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
                    >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
                    >Syntax error Ok
                    >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
                    >Type mismatch
                    >Ok

                    You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

                    >I guess that's FORTRAN.

                    No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
                    Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
                    into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
                    write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
                    string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
                    structions from the original posted code.

                    FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                      On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
                      >
                      > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
                      >
                      > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
                      >
                      > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
                      >
                      > I will update the VCF site tonight.

                      This. Is. AWESOME.

                      Thank you for making this happen!

                      Dave McGuire
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                        On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                        Dan,

                        Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

                        I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
                        =Dan