GREAT news - VCF keynote

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?

      Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)

      He emailed me just now and confirmed.

      There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!

      I will update the VCF site tonight.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
        Awesome!

        Bill Degnan

        > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
        >
        > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language
        called BASIC. :-)

        > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
        >
        > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF
        speaker. Stay tuned!!!

        > I will update the VCF site tonight.

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
          > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz.

          10 T$="AWESOME!"
          20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
          30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
          40 NEXT I
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
            "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:

            >10 T$="AWESOME!"
            >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
            >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
            >40 NEXT I

            I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:

            DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
            PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

              > "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> writes:
              >
              > >10 T$="AWESOME!"
              > >20 FOR I=1 TO LEN(T$)
              > >30 PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T$,I,1)
              > >40 NEXT I

              !
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                Nice Work !!
                Yet another great addition to the VCF East Lineup
                =Dan

                 _  ____
                / \__/
                Scotty, We Need More Power !!
                \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                  Dan,

                  Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet? Or is it top secret?

                  Bill Degnan

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:
                    > I didn't need all those lines or line numbers:
                    >
                    > DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
                    > PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)

                    A>mbasic
                    BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21
                    [CP/M Version]
                    Copyright 1977-1981 (C) by Microsoft
                    Created: 28-Jul-81
                    34872 Bytes free
                    Ok
                    DECLARE STRING CONSTANT T="AWESOME!"
                    Syntax error
                    Ok
                    PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
                    Type mismatch
                    Ok

                    I guess that's FORTRAN.
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012

                      ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
                      >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
                      >Syntax error Ok
                      >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
                      >Type mismatch
                      >Ok

                      You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

                      >I guess that's FORTRAN.

                      No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
                      Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
                      into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
                      write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
                      string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
                      structions from the original posted code.

                      FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                        On 01/06/2012 12:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > This year's VCF East 8.0 keynoter is Tom Kurtz. Who, you ask.....?
                        >
                        > Tom, while at Dartmouth in the mid-1960s, co-developed a little language called BASIC. :-)
                        >
                        > He emailed me just now and confirmed.
                        >
                        > There's a good chance that I will soon announced * another * awesome VCF speaker. Stay tuned!!!
                        >
                        > I will update the VCF site tonight.

                        This. Is. AWESOME.

                        Thank you for making this happen!

                        Dave McGuire
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                          On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                          Dan,

                          Do you have a short list of exhibit candidates yet?  Or is it top secret?

                          I don't yet, I'm getting the workshop ready first.
                          =Dan