Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF -- you know, for kids!

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      >A question for MARCHins who are parents ....
      >
      >Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon
      >exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning,
      >and they got very bored, very quickly.
      >
      >Last year I thought that merely having our museum open (along with the
      >radio museum) would be enough. It wasn't.
      >
      >What if we have a mornings-only "Kids Room" with some very simple
      >exhibits, a few BASIC stations, roving instructors, etc.? (Someday, when
      >we move our museum into one of the larger buildings, this kind of thing
      >could be a permanent exhibit. Right now our museum section has no space
      >for it.)
      >
      >And/or, what else can we do to keep young'n's entertained in the
      >mornings?
      >
      >Things that are NOT up for discussion: - Arcade room -- it becomes
      >daycare - Changing the morning/afternoon schedule
      >
      >This "kids room" is not something that we're definitely going to do.
      >It's just an idea, and I'd like feedback before we decide whether to
      >pursue it.

      You could dress up in a Barney costume and sing "I love vintage computers;
      vintage computers love me." Perfect for the kiddies!
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
        I will update it tonight.

        Sellam has a simple CMS. He tells the site, "go live," and then I edit it. Kind of backward, but that's how it is. The site was born two days ago; I haven't had much time to work on it. But I am free tonight and tomorrow. If I have a few minutes at work today then I might go in and temporarily change that link.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012

          You have to consider that some of the parents are probably there to sit in on the lectures too. Probably their spouse is attending too so there's one of them keep their kid[s] busy. You shouldn't need more than one person, if any to attend to this, since the parent is their. Some activity like Bill mentioned is sure to make a lasting impression - while keeping them preoccupied. Keep it  Lo-Tech, it will sure to last long enough to get thru the morning.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
            It has to be fun.

            Bill Degnan

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

              >It has to be fun.

              What is the age demographic you're looking at here? Having raised 4 brats
              and having 2 grandbrats with another on the way, there are attention spans
              that correlate with age. You need to have more activities for the younger
              attendees due to their shorter attention span.

              On a side note, I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as an-
              other festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                >> I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as another festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.

                Sorry to hear that. What other festival could be better than ours?
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                  >>> I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as another
                  >festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.
                  >
                  >Sorry to hear that. What other festival could be better than ours?

                  The Rites Of Spring festival. It's a music festival held at the Majestic
                  Theater in Gettysburg, Pa. I'm on staff as photographer and I'll have a
                  number of European and India guests attending the festival in my home for
                  the week prior too. Sadly, I can't blow this off for VCF.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                    >> Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning, and they got very bored, very quickly.
                    >>
                    > The website explains but the flyer didn't.
                    > http://vintage.org/2011/east/vcfeast7flier.pdf.

                    I misread your message on my phone this morning. Now I'm re-reading it
                    on the computer and it makes a lot more sense. Yes, I did a poor job on
                    the flier last year. Note to self, don't do that again. :)

                    I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
                    widely as possible and people magically show up.
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                      >I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
                      >widely as possible and people magically show up.

                      I found out about VCF and MARCH when you posted a message to some of
                      the usenet computer related newsgroups. I don't recall if I saw any
                      postings there in recent years. Perhaps, you should consider that as
                      one of the advertising venues again.

                      It seems to me that the under-40 crowd are more geared to the social
                      media sites. Are there computer related group or discussion lists on
                      Facebook where you could announce VCF? I don't Facebook, so I may be
                      far off base here.

                      Send copies of VCF flier to the science, math and computer departments
                      c/o local area schools and colleges. I know, postage costs money, but
                      that might open up more possibiities.

                      Autowrap that Miata with an advertisement people will see and read as
                      you trek back and forth on the GSP. ;) ;)
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                        I had a game set up on one of my Apple II's in the exhibit areas last year and invited the kids that were visiting with parents to try it. That was good for a few minutes. I think a number of the other exhibitors were doing the same. I've done crystal radio projects with cub scouts (this is grade school age group) a few times and even that was a stretch in terms of focus for most of them. The parents did most of the work.

                        How about a few systems set up to run the classic "Oregon Trail", with a small reward for anyone who completes the game. This is one of the few classic games that either of my son's has actually got interested in.

                        Regards,
                        Mike Willegal

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                          Works for middle school kids but who will run this?
                          --
                          Sent from my PDP 8/e.