VCF -- you know, for kids!

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2012
      A question for MARCHins who are parents ....

      Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon
      exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning,
      and they got very bored, very quickly.

      Last year I thought that merely having our museum open (along with the
      radio museum) would be enough. It wasn't.

      What if we have a mornings-only "Kids Room" with some very simple
      exhibits, a few BASIC stations, roving instructors, etc.? (Someday, when
      we move our museum into one of the larger buildings, this kind of thing
      could be a permanent exhibit. Right now our museum section has no space
      for it.)

      And/or, what else can we do to keep young'n's entertained in the mornings?

      Things that are NOT up for discussion:
      - Arcade room -- it becomes daycare
      - Changing the morning/afternoon schedule

      This "kids room" is not something that we're definitely going to do.
      It's just an idea, and I'd like feedback before we decide whether to
      pursue it.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        >A question for MARCHins who are parents ....
        >
        >Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon
        >exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning,
        >and they got very bored, very quickly.
        >
        >Last year I thought that merely having our museum open (along with the
        >radio museum) would be enough. It wasn't.
        >
        >What if we have a mornings-only "Kids Room" with some very simple
        >exhibits, a few BASIC stations, roving instructors, etc.? (Someday,
        >when
        >we move our museum into one of the larger buildings, this kind of thing
        >
        >could be a permanent exhibit. Right now our museum section has no space
        >
        >for it.)
        >
        >And/or, what else can we do to keep young'n's entertained in the
        >mornings?
        >
        >Things that are NOT up for discussion:
        >- Arcade room -- it becomes daycare
        >- Changing the morning/afternoon schedule
        >
        >This "kids room" is not something that we're definitely going to do.
        >It's just an idea, and I'd like feedback before we decide whether to
        >pursue it.

        I have think it's smart but I also don't think it's a bad idea to just show g rated movies and/or documentaries for everyone who needs something to do in the am...such as GET LAMP or Tron. Something that will not divert resources.
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
          >> I also don't think it's a bad idea to just show g rated movies and/or documentaries for everyone who needs something to do in the am...such as GET LAMP or Tron. Something that will not divert resources.

          Well, anything will divert some resources -- a room, a person or two, etc. -- but I think entertaining kids is worth some resources. :)

          (Legally) screening a commercial movie is a big PITA, or so I've heard. I'm sure Jason would give us permission to show one of his, but they're still for adults interest-wise.

          However something we could do in a kid's room is play interesting / funny Youtube videos.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
            On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:17:56AM -0500, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon
            > exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning,
            > and they got very bored, very quickly.

            The website explains but the flyer didn't.
            http://vintage.org/2011/east/vcfeast7flier.pdf.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
              I just remember how much scrambling there has been to get ready on Sat morning. Do something that does not require electricity.

              I have taken my kids to the Hagley Museum science for kids events. One very popular event consisted of "disassemble electronics..radios, computers, vars, etc.". Kids would get a ticket or two when they enter at the door and with it they will could "buy" a piece of electronic junk and a set of screwdrivers and pliers to borrow. The kids sit down at the table with the thing they picked from the pile and are encouraged to disassemble their thing. They could keep the thing or parts from it. Kids love this. We still have these disassembly parties at home. You only need a pile of junk, a bunch if screwdrivers and two or three adults to help with the tough screws.

              Participants at the Hagley event were from all ages but mostly kids. I admit doing a little assembly myself to nab a part I needed.

              We just have to sure not to give kids anything dangerous.

              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                >A question for MARCHins who are parents ....
                >
                >Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon
                >exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning,
                >and they got very bored, very quickly.
                >
                >Last year I thought that merely having our museum open (along with the
                >radio museum) would be enough. It wasn't.
                >
                >What if we have a mornings-only "Kids Room" with some very simple
                >exhibits, a few BASIC stations, roving instructors, etc.? (Someday, when
                >we move our museum into one of the larger buildings, this kind of thing
                >could be a permanent exhibit. Right now our museum section has no space
                >for it.)
                >
                >And/or, what else can we do to keep young'n's entertained in the
                >mornings?
                >
                >Things that are NOT up for discussion: - Arcade room -- it becomes
                >daycare - Changing the morning/afternoon schedule
                >
                >This "kids room" is not something that we're definitely going to do.
                >It's just an idea, and I'd like feedback before we decide whether to
                >pursue it.

                You could dress up in a Barney costume and sing "I love vintage computers;
                vintage computers love me." Perfect for the kiddies!
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                  I will update it tonight.

                  Sellam has a simple CMS. He tells the site, "go live," and then I edit it. Kind of backward, but that's how it is. The site was born two days ago; I haven't had much time to work on it. But I am free tonight and tomorrow. If I have a few minutes at work today then I might go in and temporarily change that link.
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012

                    You have to consider that some of the parents are probably there to sit in on the lectures too. Probably their spouse is attending too so there's one of them keep their kid[s] busy. You shouldn't need more than one person, if any to attend to this, since the parent is their. Some activity like Bill mentioned is sure to make a lasting impression - while keeping them preoccupied. Keep it  Lo-Tech, it will sure to last long enough to get thru the morning.

                    =Dan

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                      It has to be fun.

                      Bill Degnan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                        >It has to be fun.

                        What is the age demographic you're looking at here? Having raised 4 brats
                        and having 2 grandbrats with another on the way, there are attention spans
                        that correlate with age. You need to have more activities for the younger
                        attendees due to their shorter attention span.

                        On a side note, I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as an-
                        other festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                          >> I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as another festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.

                          Sorry to hear that. What other festival could be better than ours?
                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                            "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                            >>> I'm a bit miffed that this falls on the same weekend as another
                            >festival I'm a party to. I'll have miss VCF this year.
                            >
                            >Sorry to hear that. What other festival could be better than ours?

                            The Rites Of Spring festival. It's a music festival held at the Majestic
                            Theater in Gettysburg, Pa. I'm on staff as photographer and I'll have a
                            number of European and India guests attending the festival in my home for
                            the week prior too. Sadly, I can't blow this off for VCF.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 6, 2012
                              >> Even though we advertise the VCF as morning lectures and afternoon exhibits, there are always some people who bring kids in the morning, and they got very bored, very quickly.
                              >>
                              > The website explains but the flyer didn't.
                              > http://vintage.org/2011/east/vcfeast7flier.pdf.

                              I misread your message on my phone this morning. Now I'm re-reading it
                              on the computer and it makes a lot more sense. Yes, I did a poor job on
                              the flier last year. Note to self, don't do that again. :)

                              I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
                              widely as possible and people magically show up.
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                                >I have no idea how most people hear about the event. We advertise as
                                >widely as possible and people magically show up.

                                I found out about VCF and MARCH when you posted a message to some of
                                the usenet computer related newsgroups. I don't recall if I saw any
                                postings there in recent years. Perhaps, you should consider that as
                                one of the advertising venues again.

                                It seems to me that the under-40 crowd are more geared to the social
                                media sites. Are there computer related group or discussion lists on
                                Facebook where you could announce VCF? I don't Facebook, so I may be
                                far off base here.

                                Send copies of VCF flier to the science, math and computer departments
                                c/o local area schools and colleges. I know, postage costs money, but
                                that might open up more possibiities.

                                Autowrap that Miata with an advertisement people will see and read as
                                you trek back and forth on the GSP. ;) ;)
                              • Mike
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                                  I had a game set up on one of my Apple II's in the exhibit areas last year and invited the kids that were visiting with parents to try it. That was good for a few minutes. I think a number of the other exhibitors were doing the same. I've done crystal radio projects with cub scouts (this is grade school age group) a few times and even that was a stretch in terms of focus for most of them. The parents did most of the work.

                                  How about a few systems set up to run the classic "Oregon Trail", with a small reward for anyone who completes the game. This is one of the few classic games that either of my son's has actually got interested in.

                                  Regards,
                                  Mike Willegal

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 7, 2012
                                    Works for middle school kids but who will run this?
                                    --
                                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.