Re: [midatlanticretro] Monrobot Computer History

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
      On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:

      > I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history".
      >
      > Take a look:
      >
      > https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers

      Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why was
      'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

        >On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:
        >
        >> I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect
        >of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history". > > Take a
        >look: > >
        >https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers
        >
        > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why
        >was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

        Because it was sex-ier!
      • Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
          > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before.
          > Why was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

          I was going to guess that it was related to the Flexowriter's pre-ASCII character encoding but the character chart doesn't seem to support that. Many strange and wonderful things were done before ROM was available (*1)

          One place I worked skimped on the ROM monitor so the TTY printed "half-ascii" for hex: 0-9 and ":;<=>?" instead of A-F since that's just 30-3F hex (060 - 077 octal). I called half-assed key.

          -- jeff jonas

          *1: there were many ways to make ROM before chips, such as arrays of diodes, rope memory, etc. but that was really expensive and took a lot of space