Re: [midatlanticretro] Monrobot Computer History

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
      Thats cool.

      You spoke at VCF East 7

      I assume you know about this page right?

      http://www.monrobot.org/

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
        On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:

        > I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history".
        >
        > Take a look:
        >
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers

        Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why was
        'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
          Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

          >On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:
          >
          >> I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect
          >of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history". > > Take a
          >look: > >
          >https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers
          >
          > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why
          >was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

          Because it was sex-ier!
        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
            > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before.
            > Why was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

            I was going to guess that it was related to the Flexowriter's pre-ASCII character encoding but the character chart doesn't seem to support that. Many strange and wonderful things were done before ROM was available (*1)

            One place I worked skimped on the ROM monitor so the TTY printed "half-ascii" for hex: 0-9 and ":;<=>?" instead of A-F since that's just 30-3F hex (060 - 077 octal). I called half-assed key.

            -- jeff jonas

            *1: there were many ways to make ROM before chips, such as arrays of diodes, rope memory, etc. but that was really expensive and took a lot of space