Monrobot Computer History

  • Donald Caselli
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
      Greetings and Happy New Year to all of you.

      I hope that in 2012 you will be able to continue to collect and preserve a little bit of history in each area that strikes your fancy!

      I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history".

      Take a look:

      https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers

      Don Caselli

    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
        Thats cool.

        You spoke at VCF East 7

        I assume you know about this page right?

        http://www.monrobot.org/

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
          On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:

          > I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history".
          >
          > Take a look:
          >
          > https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers

          Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why was
          'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
            Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

            >On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Donald Caselli wrote:
            >
            >> I have posted a few pictures and details at Picasa, about one aspect
            >of my personal life which I can now refer to as "history". > > Take a
            >look: > >
            >https://picasaweb.google.com/111066323220483303112/MonrobotComputers
            >
            > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before. Why
            >was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

            Because it was sex-ier!
          • Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
              > Interesting. I'd never heard of sexadecimal notation before.
              > Why was 'S-X' chosen for 10-15?

              I was going to guess that it was related to the Flexowriter's pre-ASCII character encoding but the character chart doesn't seem to support that. Many strange and wonderful things were done before ROM was available (*1)

              One place I worked skimped on the ROM monitor so the TTY printed "half-ascii" for hex: 0-9 and ":;<=>?" instead of A-F since that's just 30-3F hex (060 - 077 octal). I called half-assed key.

              -- jeff jonas

              *1: there were many ways to make ROM before chips, such as arrays of diodes, rope memory, etc. but that was really expensive and took a lot of space