Re: [midatlanticretro] Thanks to all who responded!

  • J. Chris Hausler
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
      Hi Mike,

      Nice collection and nice web site!!

      I will arrange to take a couple photos of my Whirlwind module and send them sometime in the next few days. I acquired the module from the Computer Museum. I believe it was one of 7 Whirlwind modules which went on tour of Japan and possibly other places in the late 1980's. This left it somewhat worse for wear. I had visited the museum in the mid 1980's when it was still in Boston. At the time their display of Whirlwind was minimal and poor and remember the final disposal of Whirlwind, I believe around 1970, was the genesis of the Computer Museum. However they did have a nice Q7 display then and lets face it the Q7 is one of the "better looking" large machines out there :-) I bought my Whirlwind module during their first on-line auction in spring 1994. I later learned that they had been selling off pieces of Whirlwind and other machines in their collection to raise money for some time but this was the first time they had taken this sale to the Internet (the auction was by email bid). I believe they did this again even later but with a more sophisticated interface than email. I did not participate. The best display of Whirlwind I ever came across was at the Smithsonian in the early 80's but when I returned half a dozen years later, none of it was to be seen. Oh well...

      73, Chris Hausler

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
        > Yes I would love to see your museum and will try to do so in the coming year!

        I recommend visiting for VCF East, May 5-6, 2012.

        >>> You'll find that most collectors here, on cctech, etc. go to great lengths to obtain full systems. We feel that getting just the panels and ignoring the actual systems / power / peripherals / etc. is a bad thing.
        > I had been acquiring front panels for some years and talking about them (I bought several at the TCF during the 15 years straight that I attended), managed to slip me a front panel from each of these sites

        It's one thing if someone only has just the panel; what needs to be
        avoided is when people consciously take the panel and trash the machine.
        * THAT * is sacrilege in our circles.

        > What use is an old computer just sitting there gathering dust.

        It's better than if the machines are destroyed. The majority of our club
        collection is currently gathering dust, but at least we saved them from
        scrappers.

        > I have enough trouble keeping some of my early (mid to late 70's)microcomputer stuff running, even some of the simpler ones.

        Teaching such skills is a major reason for MARCH's existence. All are
        welcome.
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
          On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, J. Chris Hausler wrote:

          > I will arrange to take a couple photos of my Whirlwind module and send
          > them sometime in the next few days. I acquired the module from the
          > Computer Museum. I believe it was one of 7 Whirlwind modules which went
          > on tour of Japan and possibly other places in the late 1980's. This
          > left it somewhat worse for wear. I had visited the museum in the mid
          > 1980's when it was still in Boston. At the time their display of
          > Whirlwind was minimal and poor and remember the final disposal of
          > Whirlwind, I believe around 1970, was the genesis of the Computer
          > Museum. However they did have a nice Q7 display then and lets face it
          > the Q7 is one of the "better looking" large machines out there :-)

          I also visited the computer museum in Boston, in January of 1987, and
          saw the SAGE exhibit. At that point, it had been less than four years
          since I had worked on the Q7. :-) I don't remember seeing any of the
          Whirlwind hardware, though.

          > The best display of Whirlwind I ever came across was at the Smithsonian
          > in the early 80's but when I returned half a dozen years later, none of
          > it was to be seen. Oh well...

          I visited Boston in 2007, and the Museum of Science had a Computing
          Revolution exhibit which had a good-sized section of the Whirlwind control
          panels. I don't think that exhibit is still up, but they have a web page
          for it:

          http://www.mos.org/computingrevolution/whirlwind/8f.html

          I can put my pictures of the Whirlwind exhibit online, if anyone wants
          to see them.

          The Computer History Museum has three Whirlwind logic module racks on
          display, in their Visible Storage exhibit:

          http://www.computerhistory.org/VisibleStorage/images/racks_lg.jpg

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...