Re: [midatlanticretro] Thanks to all who responded!

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
      > Carnegie Institute of Technology during the second half of the 1960's. For those who might be interested, the head of the EE department at the time managed to acquire a retired military computer, a UNIVAC Athena

      Nice. You should visit our museum someday (contact me for a private
      tour). Our collection includes a UNIVAC 1219, which is also a military
      system.

      > Another thing I collect is old "switch and light" computer front panels from back in the daze, mostly minicomputers, and some of them from the actual machines I worked with. Unfortunately, it's been over 10 years now since I found my last, a Modcomp II and I still
      > don't have a straight PDP-8 panel (although I do have an 8S and as I was trying to get it right in front of the scrappers, I ended up just taking the whole chassis, however leaving behind the power supplies and TTY interface which were mounted elsewhere in the rack. :-)

      You'll find that most collectors here, on cctech, etc. go to great
      lengths to obtain full systems. We feel that getting just the panels and
      ignoring the actual systems / power / peripherals / etc. is a bad thing.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
        On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Chris wrote:

        > It's nice to know that there is a SAGE sage out there. It was reading
        > about Whirlwind and its "rebirth" in the 9-25-1964 issue of LIFE
        > magazine which led me to study computers and computing when I went to
        > college and thus my interest in that machine and my eventual collection
        > of that module (Register Driver Type I Serial No. 3 :-).

        Chris:

        I have a modest collection of SAGE hardware:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/SAGE/

        I also maintain a site which lists appearances of SAGE hardware in
        films and TV:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Q7/

        I'd like to see pictures of your Whirlwind module.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • J. Chris Hausler
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
          Hi Evan,

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
            Hi Mike,

            Nice collection and nice web site!!

            I will arrange to take a couple photos of my Whirlwind module and send them sometime in the next few days. I acquired the module from the Computer Museum. I believe it was one of 7 Whirlwind modules which went on tour of Japan and possibly other places in the late 1980's. This left it somewhat worse for wear. I had visited the museum in the mid 1980's when it was still in Boston. At the time their display of Whirlwind was minimal and poor and remember the final disposal of Whirlwind, I believe around 1970, was the genesis of the Computer Museum. However they did have a nice Q7 display then and lets face it the Q7 is one of the "better looking" large machines out there :-) I bought my Whirlwind module during their first on-line auction in spring 1994. I later learned that they had been selling off pieces of Whirlwind and other machines in their collection to raise money for some time but this was the first time they had taken this sale to the Internet (the auction was by email bid). I believe they did this again even later but with a more sophisticated interface than email. I did not participate. The best display of Whirlwind I ever came across was at the Smithsonian in the early 80's but when I returned half a dozen years later, none of it was to be seen. Oh well...

            73, Chris Hausler

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
              > Yes I would love to see your museum and will try to do so in the coming year!

              I recommend visiting for VCF East, May 5-6, 2012.

              >>> You'll find that most collectors here, on cctech, etc. go to great lengths to obtain full systems. We feel that getting just the panels and ignoring the actual systems / power / peripherals / etc. is a bad thing.
              > I had been acquiring front panels for some years and talking about them (I bought several at the TCF during the 15 years straight that I attended), managed to slip me a front panel from each of these sites

              It's one thing if someone only has just the panel; what needs to be
              avoided is when people consciously take the panel and trash the machine.
              * THAT * is sacrilege in our circles.

              > What use is an old computer just sitting there gathering dust.

              It's better than if the machines are destroyed. The majority of our club
              collection is currently gathering dust, but at least we saved them from
              scrappers.

              > I have enough trouble keeping some of my early (mid to late 70's)microcomputer stuff running, even some of the simpler ones.

              Teaching such skills is a major reason for MARCH's existence. All are
              welcome.
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
                On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, J. Chris Hausler wrote:

                > I will arrange to take a couple photos of my Whirlwind module and send
                > them sometime in the next few days. I acquired the module from the
                > Computer Museum. I believe it was one of 7 Whirlwind modules which went
                > on tour of Japan and possibly other places in the late 1980's. This
                > left it somewhat worse for wear. I had visited the museum in the mid
                > 1980's when it was still in Boston. At the time their display of
                > Whirlwind was minimal and poor and remember the final disposal of
                > Whirlwind, I believe around 1970, was the genesis of the Computer
                > Museum. However they did have a nice Q7 display then and lets face it
                > the Q7 is one of the "better looking" large machines out there :-)

                I also visited the computer museum in Boston, in January of 1987, and
                saw the SAGE exhibit. At that point, it had been less than four years
                since I had worked on the Q7. :-) I don't remember seeing any of the
                Whirlwind hardware, though.

                > The best display of Whirlwind I ever came across was at the Smithsonian
                > in the early 80's but when I returned half a dozen years later, none of
                > it was to be seen. Oh well...

                I visited Boston in 2007, and the Museum of Science had a Computing
                Revolution exhibit which had a good-sized section of the Whirlwind control
                panels. I don't think that exhibit is still up, but they have a web page
                for it:

                http://www.mos.org/computingrevolution/whirlwind/8f.html

                I can put my pictures of the Whirlwind exhibit online, if anyone wants
                to see them.

                The Computer History Museum has three Whirlwind logic module racks on
                display, in their Visible Storage exhibit:

                http://www.computerhistory.org/VisibleStorage/images/racks_lg.jpg

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...