Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Infocom and DECUS Mini-Tasker

  • J. Chris Hausler
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
      Hi All,

      As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists, cctalk or cctech. My interests tend toward the time frame of 1945 to 1980 (computer history ended with the IBM PC IMHO ;-), possibly my earliest artifact is a rack panel from MIT's project Whirlwind, I'm wondering which I should join and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

      73, Chris Hausler

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
        Chris,

        To answer your question about CCTALK/TECH - The two get mixed together, but
        CCTECH is more strictly for on-topic posts and is the more filtered down
        list. CCTALK has more off-topic posts and jibber jabber. 1945-1980 would
        be the perfect on-topic timeframe.

        I am one of two V.P's of MARCH, welcome to our list/group. There are a few
        persons in our group from your area, so if you were to ever come for a
        visit to InfoAge (in Wall, NJ), the home of our museum and the Vintage
        Computer Festival East (this May), you might be able to carpool. There are
        no dues, everything is voluntary. We just use this forum to communicate
        about our project work and organize the occasional computer rescues,
        events, and get-togethers. Although our Yahoo group is the primary means
        for communication, see also midatlanticretro.org for our event calendar and
        links to others' sites.

        I am sure Evan Koblentz our club pres will have something to say as
        well....

        Bill Degnan

        > As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a
        little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college in
        Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists,
        cctalk or cctech. My interests tend toward the time frame of 1945 to 1980
        (computer history ended with the IBM PC IMHO ;-), possibly my earliest
        artifact is a rack panel from MIT's project Whirlwind, I'm wondering which
        I should join and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as
        well.

        > 73, Chris Hausler

      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
          On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 01:40:38PM -0500, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a
          > little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college
          > in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists,
          > cctalk or cctech.

          I think the link I gave previous covered it.
          http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
          They cctech is the filtered on topic subset of cctalk.
          You can see the contents of the lists here
          http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html

          > I'm wondering which I should join.

          I go with the digest cctech to keep the volume reasonable.

          > and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

          Excluding off topic posts I'd say 80's the most but it covers a
          large time span.

          I think you can see the past messages here.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
            On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@... wrote:
            > If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
            > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.

            If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you can
            get to the site.

            http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
              David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

              >On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@...
              >wrote: > If you should come across any and they are electronic format,
              >let me know. > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium. >
              >If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you
              >can get to the site.
              >
              >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html

              I figured Tim's name would show up somewhere in this thread. ;)