Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Infocom and DECUS Mini-Tasker

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
      Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
      me...
      ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

      Dave

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
        On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
        > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
        > me...
        > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

        Try again. Approvals have been restarted

        http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
          On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
          > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work
          > for
          > me...
          > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...
          >
          >Try again. Approvals have been restarted
          >
          >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html

          OK thanks. Lets see how it goes...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
            >>> Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work

            You have to answer some riddles and then cross a dangerous bridge.

            Or ... You just sign up. Be sure to pick ONE of the lists (cctalk or cctech) but not both. The list owner (Jay West) tends to be busy for months at a time and then processes new batches of members. As DG said though, lately it seems to be better.
          • J. Chris Hausler
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
              Hi All,

              As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists, cctalk or cctech. My interests tend toward the time frame of 1945 to 1980 (computer history ended with the IBM PC IMHO ;-), possibly my earliest artifact is a rack panel from MIT's project Whirlwind, I'm wondering which I should join and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

              73, Chris Hausler

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                Chris,

                To answer your question about CCTALK/TECH - The two get mixed together, but
                CCTECH is more strictly for on-topic posts and is the more filtered down
                list. CCTALK has more off-topic posts and jibber jabber. 1945-1980 would
                be the perfect on-topic timeframe.

                I am one of two V.P's of MARCH, welcome to our list/group. There are a few
                persons in our group from your area, so if you were to ever come for a
                visit to InfoAge (in Wall, NJ), the home of our museum and the Vintage
                Computer Festival East (this May), you might be able to carpool. There are
                no dues, everything is voluntary. We just use this forum to communicate
                about our project work and organize the occasional computer rescues,
                events, and get-togethers. Although our Yahoo group is the primary means
                for communication, see also midatlanticretro.org for our event calendar and
                links to others' sites.

                I am sure Evan Koblentz our club pres will have something to say as
                well....

                Bill Degnan

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                  On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 01:40:38PM -0500, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a
                  > little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college
                  > in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists,
                  > cctalk or cctech.

                  I think the link I gave previous covered it.
                  http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
                  They cctech is the filtered on topic subset of cctalk.
                  You can see the contents of the lists here
                  http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html

                  > I'm wondering which I should join.

                  I go with the digest cctech to keep the volume reasonable.

                  > and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

                  Excluding off topic posts I'd say 80's the most but it covers a
                  large time span.

                  I think you can see the past messages here.
                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                    On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@... wrote:
                    > If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
                    > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.

                    If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you can
                    get to the site.

                    http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                      David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                      >On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@...
                      >wrote: > If you should come across any and they are electronic format,
                      >let me know. > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium. >
                      >If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you
                      >can get to the site.
                      >
                      >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html

                      I figured Tim's name would show up somewhere in this thread. ;)