Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Infocom and DECUS Mini-Tasker

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
      "Rick" <rickthornquist@...> writes:

      >David and Evan -
      >
      >I have subscribed to classiccmp and am posting a message as we speak.
      >Cros= sing my fingers!

      Rick,

      If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
      I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
        Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
        me...
        ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

        Dave

      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
          On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
          > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
          > me...
          > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

          Try again. Approvals have been restarted

          http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
            On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
            > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work
            > for
            > me...
            > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...
            >
            >Try again. Approvals have been restarted
            >
            >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html

            OK thanks. Lets see how it goes...
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
              >>> Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work

              You have to answer some riddles and then cross a dangerous bridge.

              Or ... You just sign up. Be sure to pick ONE of the lists (cctalk or cctech) but not both. The list owner (Jay West) tends to be busy for months at a time and then processes new batches of members. As DG said though, lately it seems to be better.
            • J. Chris Hausler
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                Hi All,

                As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists, cctalk or cctech. My interests tend toward the time frame of 1945 to 1980 (computer history ended with the IBM PC IMHO ;-), possibly my earliest artifact is a rack panel from MIT's project Whirlwind, I'm wondering which I should join and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

                73, Chris Hausler

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Chris,

                  To answer your question about CCTALK/TECH - The two get mixed together, but
                  CCTECH is more strictly for on-topic posts and is the more filtered down
                  list. CCTALK has more off-topic posts and jibber jabber. 1945-1980 would
                  be the perfect on-topic timeframe.

                  I am one of two V.P's of MARCH, welcome to our list/group. There are a few
                  persons in our group from your area, so if you were to ever come for a
                  visit to InfoAge (in Wall, NJ), the home of our museum and the Vintage
                  Computer Festival East (this May), you might be able to carpool. There are
                  no dues, everything is voluntary. We just use this forum to communicate
                  about our project work and organize the occasional computer rescues,
                  events, and get-togethers. Although our Yahoo group is the primary means
                  for communication, see also midatlanticretro.org for our event calendar and
                  links to others' sites.

                  I am sure Evan Koblentz our club pres will have something to say as
                  well....

                  Bill Degnan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                    On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 01:40:38PM -0500, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a
                    > little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college
                    > in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists,
                    > cctalk or cctech.

                    I think the link I gave previous covered it.
                    http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
                    They cctech is the filtered on topic subset of cctalk.
                    You can see the contents of the lists here
                    http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html

                    > I'm wondering which I should join.

                    I go with the digest cctech to keep the volume reasonable.

                    > and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

                    Excluding off topic posts I'd say 80's the most but it covers a
                    large time span.

                    I think you can see the past messages here.
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                      On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@... wrote:
                      > If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
                      > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.

                      If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you can
                      get to the site.

                      http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html
                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                        David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                        >On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@...
                        >wrote: > If you should come across any and they are electronic format,
                        >let me know. > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium. >
                        >If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you
                        >can get to the site.
                        >
                        >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html

                        I figured Tim's name would show up somewhere in this thread. ;)