Re: [midatlanticretro] Infocom and DECUS Mini-Tasker

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
      >> Hi All -
      >>
      >> Way back in 1980, Infocom posted an ad in the September 1980 issue of the DECUS Mini-Tasker (the DECUS RT-11 SIG newsletter). This was the first ad the Infocom ever produced and I'd like to get a scan of it for the book.
      >>
      >> Does anyone here have this newsletter? If not, do you know of someone who might? If anyone could help me out with this I'd very much appreciate it.
      >>
      > I have a couple Mini-Taskers but not that one. If you haven't tried you can try the classicmp mailing list
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html

      Rick, if you have any trouble posting to classiccmp, then I can post on
      your behalf. That list often has long delays in processing new members.
      But it's worthwhile because its members are very knowledgeable and have
      good collections.

      Our club collection does not have those newsletters though.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >>> Hi All - >> >> Way back in 1980, Infocom posted an ad in the
        >September 1980 issue of the DECUS Mini-Tasker (the DECUS RT-11 SIG
        >newsletter). This was the first ad the Infocom ever produced and I'd
        >like to get a scan of it for the book. >> >> Does anyone here have this
        >newsletter? If not, do you know of someone who might? If anyone could
        >help me out with this I'd very much appreciate it. >> > I have a couple
        >Mini-Taskers but not that one. If you haven't tried you can try the
        >classicmp mailing list > http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html
        >

        >Rick, if you have any trouble posting to classiccmp, then I can post on
        >your behalf. That list often has long delays in processing new members.
        >But it's worthwhile because its members are very knowledgeable and have
        >good collections.

        Rick contacted me privately about this. I suggested he contact the MARCH
        group because I knew that if anyone would know where he might turn to for
        help you guys might.

        >Our club collection does not have those newsletters though.

        I worked on RT-11 but I never read/held any newsletters pertaining to it.
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
          I checked. Found nothing, but I think I have just one copy of this
          but it's older than 1980
          bd

          At 04:29 PM 12/29/2011, you wrote:

          > >September 1980 issue of the DECUS Mini-Tasker (the DECUS RT-11 SIG
          > >newsletter). This was the first ad the Infocom ever produced and I'd
          > >like to get a scan of it for the book. >> >> Does anyone here have this
          > >newsletter? If not, do you know of someone who might? If anyone could
          > >help me out with this I'd very much appreciate it. >> > I have a couple
          > >Mini-Taskers but not that one. If you haven't tried you can try the
          > >classicmp mailing list > http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html
          > >

          > >Rick, if you have any trouble posting to classiccmp, then I can post on
          > >your behalf. That list often has long delays in processing new members.
          > >But it's worthwhile because its members are very knowledgeable and have
          > >good collections.
          >
          >Rick contacted me privately about this. I suggested he contact the MARCH
          >group because I knew that if anyone would know where he might turn to for
          >help you guys might.
          >

          > >Our club collection does not have those newsletters though.
          >
          >I worked on RT-11 but I never read/held any newsletters pertaining to it.

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
            David and Evan -

            I have subscribed to classiccmp and am posting a message as we speak. Crossing my fingers!

            - Rick

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
              "Rick" <rickthornquist@...> writes:

              >David and Evan -
              >
              >I have subscribed to classiccmp and am posting a message as we speak.
              >Cros= sing my fingers!

              Rick,

              If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
              I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
                me...
                ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

                Dave

              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                  On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
                  > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work for
                  > me...
                  > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...

                  Try again. Approvals have been restarted

                  http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                    On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56:02PM -0000, Dave wrote:
                    > Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work
                    > for
                    > me...
                    > ...perhaps I upset one of the moderators in a past life...
                    >
                    >Try again. Approvals have been restarted
                    >
                    >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html

                    OK thanks. Lets see how it goes...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                      >>> Could you explain how to subscribe to classiccmp, it never seems to work

                      You have to answer some riddles and then cross a dangerous bridge.

                      Or ... You just sign up. Be sure to pick ONE of the lists (cctalk or cctech) but not both. The list owner (Jay West) tends to be busy for months at a time and then processes new batches of members. As DG said though, lately it seems to be better.
                    • J. Chris Hausler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                        Hi All,

                        As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists, cctalk or cctech. My interests tend toward the time frame of 1945 to 1980 (computer history ended with the IBM PC IMHO ;-), possibly my earliest artifact is a rack panel from MIT's project Whirlwind, I'm wondering which I should join and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

                        73, Chris Hausler

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                          Chris,

                          To answer your question about CCTALK/TECH - The two get mixed together, but
                          CCTECH is more strictly for on-topic posts and is the more filtered down
                          list. CCTALK has more off-topic posts and jibber jabber. 1945-1980 would
                          be the perfect on-topic timeframe.

                          I am one of two V.P's of MARCH, welcome to our list/group. There are a few
                          persons in our group from your area, so if you were to ever come for a
                          visit to InfoAge (in Wall, NJ), the home of our museum and the Vintage
                          Computer Festival East (this May), you might be able to carpool. There are
                          no dues, everything is voluntary. We just use this forum to communicate
                          about our project work and organize the occasional computer rescues,
                          events, and get-togethers. Although our Yahoo group is the primary means
                          for communication, see also midatlanticretro.org for our event calendar and
                          links to others' sites.

                          I am sure Evan Koblentz our club pres will have something to say as
                          well....

                          Bill Degnan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                            On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 01:40:38PM -0500, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > As one who just discovered this group (although from Rochester, NY so a
                            > little bit north of ya but I did spend the late 60's going to college
                            > in Pittsburgh), what is the difference between the two classiccmp lists,
                            > cctalk or cctech.

                            I think the link I gave previous covered it.
                            http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-October/306258.html
                            They cctech is the filtered on topic subset of cctalk.
                            You can see the contents of the lists here
                            http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html

                            > I'm wondering which I should join.

                            I go with the digest cctech to keep the volume reasonable.

                            > and what tends to be the focus of this group time-wise as well.

                            Excluding off topic posts I'd say 80's the most but it covers a
                            large time span.

                            I think you can see the past messages here.
                          • David Gesswein
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                              On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@... wrote:
                              > If you should come across any and they are electronic format, let me know.
                              > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium.

                              If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you can
                              get to the site.

                              http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 31, 2011
                                David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                                >On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34:43AM -0500, system@...
                                >wrote: > If you should come across any and they are electronic format,
                                >let me know. > I'd like to add them to the DECUS Library Compendium. >
                                >If you didn't see the classiccmp thread some scans are avaiable if you
                                >can get to the site.
                                >
                                >http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/310008.html

                                I figured Tim's name would show up somewhere in this thread. ;)