prized possessions

  • Chris McKinley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
      so what do you all consider your most prized vintage
      puters? My Tandy 2000 and NEC APC III reside at the
      top of my list, along with my Xerox 8/16...as soon as
      I take the drive and pick it up!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
        Chris - I believe used a Xerox 8/16 when I worked at IBM (or something very
        close to it), to compare with the Model 50 running WIndows 286 and model 70
        with Windows 386 all using an early version of PageMaker. That era Xerox was the
        platform for which PageMaker was first developed I think. What software
        comes with your Xerox? If you have PageMaker that would be a real bonus.

        > so what do you all consider your most prized vintage
        > puters? My Tandy 2000 and NEC APC III reside at the
        > top of my list, along with my Xerox 8/16...as soon as
        > I take the drive and pick it up!
      • chrism3667
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
          I isn't actually in my possession yet Bill, so I don't know what
          software it's going to come with. All I know is that it employs both
          an 8086 and a z80, and was capable of true concurrent processing. Not
          a true compatible of course...heh heh heh. There's a profile of the
          thing on old-computers.com, in the museum. To my amazement, the
          monitor and the computer are actually integral, and what would
          otherwise be referred to as the cpu is actually just a housing for
          the drives and whatnot. I hope "mine" comes with the extra box :(.
          I've posted a picture of it in the photos section. More at the Tandy
          2000 group.
          I also have a DEC Rainbow 100 system on the way. Somebody tell me
          where I'm going to keep all this stuff!

        • ventax@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
            Hmmm, probally my most prized possession is my original IBM PC with the original IBM Tech feild Mods in it. The puppy still works fine and hums along. It's pretty much complete with all the original hardware and even the "burn your eyes out" screen still looks like new and there is no burn it.

            The only other thing I'm happy with is the old Timex Sinclair I still have. Complete in the original box, with the additional 16K memory expansion module and I even still have the warranty card.

            I have older stuff, but nothing says a classic then a true blue IBM.

            .G
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
              Toshiba LC-836MN.

              Say what...?

              As many of you know, I collect vintage PDAs.  LOL, it's a very obscure niche, straddling the crevice between computer collecting and calculator collecting.  Specifically I am interested in the 20 years of history from BEFORE that love/hate company -- Apple -- supposedly "invented" ( HA !!!! ) the PDA.

              It's very hard to say what was the true "first" PDA -- that depends on your definition.  But I can with 99% certainty that the Toshiba LC-836MN, also known as the Memo Note 30, was the first Palm-sized digital device with a built-in memo/organizer feature.  Some excellent details are posted at http://www.datamath.org/Related/Toshiba/LC-836MN.htm ... good luck finding much more than that ...

              I own one of these in excellent condition.  Mine is in the original box, with the original manual and warranty card.  I also own the OEM version, sold as the Radio Shack EC-4002, although it's in lesser condition.

              These and other mind-blowing vintage handhelds will be on display next weekend at the Trenton Compu... oh, sorry, that's just my usual pitch lately!

               - Evan