Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Apple II

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
      --- On Mon, 12/12/11, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

      > Most of the time flakey DC keyswitches can be restored to
      > operation by removing the keycap and using an eyedropper to
      > drop some isopropyl alchohol into the mechanism and work it
      > up and down.  One of the switches in the A2 I showed at
      > VCF-E was pretty balky when I arrived, but by the time the
      > weekend was over, it was working pretty well.  These
      > keyswitches do better with use, the opposite of most
      > mechanical devices.

      Yes, that should definitely fix the dead/flakey keys on the Datanetics - that's the method I used to resurrect the II+ keyboard - about a dozen keys were non functional when I started.

      The problem with the Datanetics keyboard is that one of the key switches is physically broken. The housing is cracked and when you press the key, the switch stem binds up in the housing and it gets stuck down. There is another key that feels "different" and may be broken slightly inside.

      The cracked keyswitch is broken to the point where I do not believe it's repairable, the switch needs to be replaced.

      As soon as I can locate a replacement switch or two, I can repair the original keyboard. Until then, we've got the "as close as I could get to original and still function with the materials and parts on hand"...

      -Ian