Stuff to bring to the party...

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
      What should I be bringing to the party this year? In previous years, I've brought video games and television sets - should I do it again this year? Any requests? Does anyone want to organize some kind of actual tournament?

      At the very least, we should get some four player games of Warlords going.

      As for movies, I can just plan on bringing a large television, unless someone has a projector or something.

      -Ian
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
        We used to have tournaments at work where everyone picks one game of
        any kind (that way everyone has a best game for themselves). One
        witness to verify scores. I wrote a program for the C64 to tally up
        the winners of the tournament. It was a fun thing to do.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
          >>> We used to have tournaments at work where everyone picks one game of any kind (that way everyone has a best game for themselves). One witness to verify scores. I wrote a program for the C64 to tally up the winners of the tournament.

          I like that plan.

          Dibs on The Empire Strikes Back game. I used to play that (and Breakout) for hours and hours.
        • mattmik
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
            I'm up for a game of Warlords!

          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
              "mattmik" <mikolaym@...> writes:

              >I'm up for a game of Warlords!

              http://www.eventsounds.com/wav/chess.wav
            • J. Alexander Jacocks
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM, mattmik <mikolaym@...> wrote:

                I'm up for a game of Warlords!

                > At the very least, we should get some four player games of Warlords going.

                I'm bringing a projector, if we have a blank wall and/or a portable screen.  My portable screen is very small, so it's probably not useful.

                - Alex
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                  "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> writes:

                  >On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM, mattmik <mikolaym@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> ** > > > I'm up for a game of Warlords! > > > --- In
                  >midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> >
                  >wrote: > > At the very least, we should get some four player games of
                  >Warlords > going. >
                  >
                  >I'm bringing a projector, if we have a blank wall and/or a portable
                  >screen. My portable screen is very small, so it's probably not useful.

                  Such as a slide projector screen? My FiL was big into slide photography.
                  I could as, if he still has the screen, to borrow it. He'll be visiting
                  this Sunday for my one granddaughter's B'day party. If that's the type
                  of screen that will be needed, I could ask to borrow it.
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                    On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                    "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> writes:

                    >On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM, mattmik <mikolaym@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> ** > > > I'm up for a game of Warlords! > > > --- In

                    >midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> >
                    >wrote: > > At the very least, we should get some four player games of
                    >Warlords > going. >
                    >
                    >I'm bringing a projector, if we have a blank wall and/or a portable
                    >screen. My portable screen is very small, so it's probably not useful.

                    Such as a slide projector screen? My FiL was big into slide photography.
                    I could as, if he still has the screen, to borrow it. He'll be visiting
                    this Sunday for my one granddaughter's B'day party. If that's the type
                    of screen that will be needed, I could ask to borrow it.

                    Yeah, any white screen should be fine, as long as it's not rear-projection.

                    - Alex
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                      "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> writes:

                      >On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, <system@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> ** > > > "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> writes: > > >On
                      >Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM, mattmik <mikolaym@...> wrote: > > >
                      >>> ** > > > I'm up for a game of Warlords! > > > --- In > >
                      >>midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> > >
                      >>wrote: > > At the very least, we should get some four player games of >
                      >>Warlords > going. > > > > >I'm bringing a projector, if we have a blank
                      >wall and/or a portable > >screen. My portable screen is very small, so
                      >it's probably not useful. > > Such as a slide projector screen? My FiL
                      >was big into slide photography. > I could as, if he still has the
                      >screen, to borrow it. He'll be visiting > this Sunday for my one
                      >granddaughter's B'day party. If that's the type > of screen that will be
                      >needed, I could ask to borrow it. >
                      >
                      >Yeah, any white screen should be fine, as long as it's not
                      >rear-projection.

                      IIRC, slide projection screens were silver-matte for better reflection
                      and color. Anyway, I'll have my wife inquire about it when she speaks
                      with him next.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                        >>> if we have a blank wall and/or a portable screen.

                        InfoAge has a 4-ft. screen we could use.
                      • Matt Patoray
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Dec 1, 2011, at 3:21 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                          >>> if we have a blank wall and/or a portable screen.

                          InfoAge has a 4-ft. screen we could use.

                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                                > presumably working Atari 800XL.

                                Why would you presume that?

                                We have several 800XLs, so you could use one of those if needed.
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                                  > How about a simple game like artillery duel. I have a networked
                                  > version which we can connect with two C64 with an ethernet cable. And
                                  > we could do a bracketed tournament. I'm not sure how Bills program
                                  > works, and if it will do such a thing.

                                  Dan networked two Apple II(e?) systems at Maker Faire in 2010.
                                • Jeffrey Brace
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
                                      >> Dan networked two Apple II(e?) systems at Maker Faire in 2010.
                                      > NO ! That was to C64 !

                                      Okay. It's all a blur to me.

                                      > The Apple IIe is so inferior to the C64 ;)

                                      Ah, go eat a year-old hamburger. :)