Re: [midatlanticretro] projects

  • c f
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
      If you're actually interested, we might be able to work something out! I had access to a machine at Columbia that could digitize the frames pretty well, but it needed to be positioned manually. Each microfiche sheet has a ~15x18 grid of pages, and it took me something like 2.5 hours to digitize one sheet. The whole set is about 21 sheets. I unfortunately don't have an extra ~50 hours to sit in their library scanning things at the moment.

      -Chris

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:27 PM, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:
      > If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

      Holy crap!! I will scan and OCR that manually if there's no other way to get it done.

      Dave McGuire

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
        Good memory! I do have a viewer but it became unassembled during transit and subsequent cleaning and now I can't figure out how to make it focus again. This is unfortunate because I have several years of early microcomputer magazines on fiche. The focus mechanism might as well be a Chinese puzzle.

        The one I have looks like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/EYECOM-EYE-1000-Microfiche-Fiche-Reader-/160687817981

        Jim

        On 11/30/2011 6:57 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        >> I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge have a microfiche viewer?
        >>
        >> BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
        > I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it worthwhile picking up one?

        I don't know if InfoAge has one. I will inquire.

        I think Jim Scheef once said that he has one.