[midatlanticretro] projects

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
      From: Evan Koblentz
      Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:29 PM
      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] projects

      >> So...anyone got any interesting projects going on related to vintage
      >>computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?

      >I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

      Sounds like a great game ! You should call it "Mystery Brace Burger". You
      have to determine whether the burger is safe to eat or not. If you are right
      your health goes up, if not then it goes down etc.
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
        >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

        >> Sounds like a great game

        Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
            On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:27 PM, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:
            > If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

            Holy crap!! I will scan and OCR that manually if there's no other way to get it done.

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
              I needed to do something to sully my Apple centric reputation, so I've started work on a Scelbi reproduction. There 5 or 6 boards to do, so it is likely I'll only have a mockup ready for VCF.

              Just to keep some Apple stuff in the mix, I've also been working on and off on a Apple II proto/hobby board design. I could use some ideas for fun projects that could be done an a vintage micro proto board.

              Regards,
              Mike Willegal

              > So...anyone got any interesting projects going on related to vintage
              > computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?

            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                Supposedly horse meat is no longer banned for human consumption here in U.S.A.
                bs

                >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                >> Sounds like a great game

                >Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)

                You should also add a part about the dog eating as mentioned before in

              • c f
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                  If you're actually interested, we might be able to work something out! I had access to a machine at Columbia that could digitize the frames pretty well, but it needed to be positioned manually. Each microfiche sheet has a ~15x18 grid of pages, and it took me something like 2.5 hours to digitize one sheet. The whole set is about 21 sheets. I unfortunately don't have an extra ~50 hours to sit in their library scanning things at the moment.

                  -Chris

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                    Good memory! I do have a viewer but it became unassembled during transit and subsequent cleaning and now I can't figure out how to make it focus again. This is unfortunate because I have several years of early microcomputer magazines on fiche. The focus mechanism might as well be a Chinese puzzle.

                    The one I have looks like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/EYECOM-EYE-1000-Microfiche-Fiche-Reader-/160687817981

                    Jim

                    On 11/30/2011 6:57 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    >> I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge have a microfiche viewer?
                    >>
                    >> BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
                    > I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it worthwhile picking up one?

                    I don't know if InfoAge has one. I will inquire.

                    I think Jim Scheef once said that he has one.