Re: [midatlanticretro] projects

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
      c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> writes:

      >If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the
      >source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

      I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge
      have a microfiche viewer?

      BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
        > I'm going to see if I can get at least one Polymorphic 88 running before
        > the festivus.

        Awesome! Those sure are neat little S-100 boxes. If you don't have one running by then, perhaps we can get it fixed up during festivus.

        Personally, I've been working on mostly S-100 stuff as well. I'm working on an "ultimate memory board," which is an all-static 64K board with some neat options I'd wanted for a while. First of all, it's jumper-selectable to enable either a 62256 32K x 8 SRAM or an EPROM/EEPROM in the first half of RAM on /PRESET. It can then be toggled between the two devices by a port output. The second half of memory space is filled by another 62256, which is jumper-selectable to be enabled or disabled on /PRESET so that it plays nice with memory-mapped things that don't assert /PHANTOM. It can also be enabled/disabled through a port output.

        That's all of the memory on the card at the moment, but I laid out the port select circuitry and data bus buffer enable circuit so that additional devices can be added. This would allow for memory banking by adding basically just more RAM sockets! The whole thing is wire wrapped and draws around 250 mA for a full 64K! Mostly this board is for my bench test setup, which runs off of a limited supply. Being able to switch things in and out in software makes it more universal for various test conditions.

        I'm going to try and get the Ohio Scientific Challenger III set up on its own bench soon so that I can start hacking around with it. Immediate plans include dumping the ROMs and storing them and constructing a single memory board to provide 48K of base RAM plus 8K for CP/M. Currently my RAM arrangement consists of three fully populated 16K 520 boards and one that's partially populated -- that consumes half of the backplane slots in the OEM chassis!

        Thanks,
        Jonathan
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
          On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, system@... wrote:

          > c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> writes:
          >
          >> If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the
          >> source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.
          >
          > I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge
          > have a microfiche viewer?
          >
          > BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.

          I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it
          worthwhile picking up one?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
            >> I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge have a microfiche viewer?
            >>
            >> BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
            > I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it worthwhile picking up one?

            I don't know if InfoAge has one. I will inquire.

            I think Jim Scheef once said that he has one.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                >> Sounds like a great game

                Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                  >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                  >> Sounds like a great game

                  >Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)

                  You should also add a part about the dog eating as mentioned before in
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                    On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:27 PM, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:
                    > If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

                    Holy crap!! I will scan and OCR that manually if there's no other way to get it done.

                    Dave McGuire
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                      I needed to do something to sully my Apple centric reputation, so I've started work on a Scelbi reproduction. There 5 or 6 boards to do, so it is likely I'll only have a mockup ready for VCF.

                      Just to keep some Apple stuff in the mix, I've also been working on and off on a Apple II proto/hobby board design. I could use some ideas for fun projects that could be done an a vintage micro proto board.

                      Regards,
                      Mike Willegal

                      > So...anyone got any interesting projects going on related to vintage
                      > computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                        Supposedly horse meat is no longer banned for human consumption here in U.S.A.
                        bs

                        >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                        >> Sounds like a great game

                        >Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)

                        You should also add a part about the dog eating as mentioned before in

                      • c f
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                          If you're actually interested, we might be able to work something out! I had access to a machine at Columbia that could digitize the frames pretty well, but it needed to be positioned manually. Each microfiche sheet has a ~15x18 grid of pages, and it took me something like 2.5 hours to digitize one sheet. The whole set is about 21 sheets. I unfortunately don't have an extra ~50 hours to sit in their library scanning things at the moment.

                          -Chris

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                            Good memory! I do have a viewer but it became unassembled during transit and subsequent cleaning and now I can't figure out how to make it focus again. This is unfortunate because I have several years of early microcomputer magazines on fiche. The focus mechanism might as well be a Chinese puzzle.

                            The one I have looks like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/EYECOM-EYE-1000-Microfiche-Fiche-Reader-/160687817981

                            Jim