Re: [midatlanticretro] projects

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
      I'm going to see if I can get at least one Polymorphic 88 running before
      the festivus.

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
        I was able to image an 80MB disk pack I got from some australian guy that contains a copy of the Cray Operating System (COS 1.17). I'm currently working on trying to figure out the file-system so I can actually make some kind of sense of what I was able to recover.

        -Chris

        On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        I'm going to see if I can get at least one Polymorphic 88 running before
        the festivus.

        Bill Degnan

        > > computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?
        > >
        > > I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."
        >
        > I'm wrorking on a program for my COSMAC Elf Membership card to calculate

        > all the primes up to about 900000. The tricky bit is fitting the results

        > in 32k RAM :-P Don't think it would make much of an exhibit though.
        >
        > I've also been working on doumenting/repairing at least one of my pair of

        > Olivetti Underwood 288 adding machines, but that will have to be on hold

        > since I have to move next month.
        >
        > Alexey

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
          On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, c f wrote:

          > I was able to image an 80MB disk pack I got from some australian guy that
          > contains a copy of the Cray Operating System (COS 1.17). I'm currently
          > working on trying to figure out the file-system so I can actually make some
          > kind of sense of what I was able to recover.
          >
          > -Chris

          That would make a great exhibit, Chris, especially if you could
          actually demo the drive (with a scratch pack) to show the process.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • c f
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
            Sorry - the drive is on its way to back to Texas soon, as it was just borrowed specifically for this project. The project itself was pretty cool - i built a little robot that bolts onto the back of the drive and moves the giant voice coil, since the servo/positioning electronics were broken, and I just tapped the analog read head directly into my own sampling electronics, as the ADC stuff was broken too (35 year-old electromechanical systems don't hold up well, it turns out).

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
              On 11/30/2011 04:08 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
              >> I was able to image an 80MB disk pack I got from some australian guy that
              >> contains a copy of the Cray Operating System (COS 1.17). I'm currently
              >> working on trying to figure out the file-system so I can actually make some
              >> kind of sense of what I was able to recover.
              >
              > That would make a great exhibit, Chris, especially if you could
              > actually demo the drive (with a scratch pack) to show the process.

              It's especially important because, prior to this, it was believed
              that all instances of COS had been lost.

              Dave McGuire
              New Kensington, PA
            • c f
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                  Hats off to you for your success.

                  Bill Degnan

                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                    c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> writes:

                    >If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the
                    >source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

                    I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge
                    have a microfiche viewer?

                    BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                      > I'm going to see if I can get at least one Polymorphic 88 running before
                      > the festivus.

                      Awesome! Those sure are neat little S-100 boxes. If you don't have one running by then, perhaps we can get it fixed up during festivus.

                      Personally, I've been working on mostly S-100 stuff as well. I'm working on an "ultimate memory board," which is an all-static 64K board with some neat options I'd wanted for a while. First of all, it's jumper-selectable to enable either a 62256 32K x 8 SRAM or an EPROM/EEPROM in the first half of RAM on /PRESET. It can then be toggled between the two devices by a port output. The second half of memory space is filled by another 62256, which is jumper-selectable to be enabled or disabled on /PRESET so that it plays nice with memory-mapped things that don't assert /PHANTOM. It can also be enabled/disabled through a port output.

                      That's all of the memory on the card at the moment, but I laid out the port select circuitry and data bus buffer enable circuit so that additional devices can be added. This would allow for memory banking by adding basically just more RAM sockets! The whole thing is wire wrapped and draws around 250 mA for a full 64K! Mostly this board is for my bench test setup, which runs off of a limited supply. Being able to switch things in and out in software makes it more universal for various test conditions.

                      I'm going to try and get the Ohio Scientific Challenger III set up on its own bench soon so that I can start hacking around with it. Immediate plans include dumping the ROMs and storing them and constructing a single memory board to provide 48K of base RAM plus 8K for CP/M. Currently my RAM arrangement consists of three fully populated 16K 520 boards and one that's partially populated -- that consumes half of the backplane slots in the OEM chassis!

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                        On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, system@... wrote:

                        > c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> writes:
                        >
                        >> If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the
                        >> source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.
                        >
                        > I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge
                        > have a microfiche viewer?
                        >
                        > BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.

                        I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it
                        worthwhile picking up one?

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                          >> I guess this is as good a time as any to ask... does MARCH or InfoAge have a microfiche viewer?
                          >>
                          >> BTW, I have VMS V1.0 source code fiche.
                          > I see fiche readers come through PSU surplus, once in a while. Is it worthwhile picking up one?

                          I don't know if InfoAge has one. I will inquire.

                          I think Jim Scheef once said that he has one.
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                            >> So...anyone got any interesting projects going on related to vintage
                            >>computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?

                            >I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                            Sounds like a great game ! You should call it "Mystery Brace Burger". You
                            have to determine whether the burger is safe to eat or not. If you are right
                            your health goes up, if not then it goes down etc.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                              >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                              >> Sounds like a great game

                              Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)
                            • Jeffrey Brace
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                                >>> I'm writing a BASIC text adventure game call "Burger Brace."

                                >> Sounds like a great game

                                >Glad you took that comment in its intended spirit. :)

                                You should also add a part about the dog eating as mentioned before in
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 30, 2011
                                  On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:27 PM, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:
                                  > If anyone has a way to digitize microfiche, I also have a copy of the source code to the Cray Time Sharing System (CTSS) lying around.

                                  Holy crap!! I will scan and OCR that manually if there's no other way to get it done.

                                  Dave McGuire
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                                    I needed to do something to sully my Apple centric reputation, so I've started work on a Scelbi reproduction. There 5 or 6 boards to do, so it is likely I'll only have a mockup ready for VCF.

                                    Just to keep some Apple stuff in the mix, I've also been working on and off on a Apple II proto/hobby board design. I could use some ideas for fun projects that could be done an a vintage micro proto board.

                                    Regards,
                                    Mike Willegal

                                    > So...anyone got any interesting projects going on related to vintage
                                    > computing? Anyone start their VCF E exhibit yet?

                                  • Bob Schwier
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                                      Supposedly horse meat is no longer banned for human consumption here in U.S.A.
                                      bs

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
                                        If you're actually interested, we might be able to work something out! I had access to a machine at Columbia that could digitize the frames pretty well, but it needed to be positioned manually. Each microfiche sheet has a ~15x18 grid of pages, and it took me something like 2.5 hours to digitize one sheet. The whole set is about 21 sheets. I unfortunately don't have an extra ~50 hours to sit in their library scanning things at the moment.

                                        -Chris

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                                          Good memory! I do have a viewer but it became unassembled during transit and subsequent cleaning and now I can't figure out how to make it focus again. This is unfortunate because I have several years of early microcomputer magazines on fiche. The focus mechanism might as well be a Chinese puzzle.

                                          The one I have looks like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/EYECOM-EYE-1000-Microfiche-Fiche-Reader-/160687817981

                                          Jim