IBM 5110 rescue

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2011
      On Friday, I took a drive over to Harrisburg to pick up some equipment
      for the museum. We acquired an IBM 5110 (a model 2 w/internal tape
      drive), a 5103 dot-matrix printer and a 5114 dual-floppy (8") drive unit.
      The 5114 had been in the recent flood and the water had covered the bottom
      of the unit with the power supply. The drives did not get wet, and the
      5110 and 5103 also stayed dry.

      I'll post a couple of pictures, when I get a chance. In the mean time,
      here is some info about the 5110:

      http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5110.html

      Evan made the contact, I just provided transportation. :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
        > On Friday, I took a drive over to Harrisburg to pick up some equipment for the museum. We acquired an IBM 5110 (a model 2 w/internal tape
        > drive), a 5103 dot-matrix printer and a 5114 dual-floppy (8") drive unit. The 5114 had been in the recent flood and the water had covered the bottom of the unit with the power supply. The drives did not get wet, and the 5110 and 5103 also stayed dry.

        Thanks for the update.

        Can you deliver it during our holiday party?
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
          On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > Can you deliver it during our holiday party?

          I wish I could, but there are too many things going on that weekend.
          If someone from the Western regions passes through on the way, we might be
          able to arrange transport.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
            I will have the flexowriter and other goodies... No pedistal for the
            Flexowriter, but on the bright side it will fit on a table. I also
            have some old Burroughs stuff from the 1960's.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
              On 11/28/2011 08:21 PM, B Degnan wrote:
              > I will have the flexowriter and other goodies... No pedistal for the
              > Flexowriter, but on the bright side it will fit on a table.

              That had better be one hell of a table, those things weigh a ton!

              Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                >> I will have the flexowriter and other goodies... No pedistal for the Flexowriter, but on the bright side it will fit on a table.
                > That had better be one hell of a table, those things weigh a ton!

                Our PDP-8 weighs 250 lbs. and sits quite safely on a metal table.
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                  On 11/28/2011 09:04 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >>> I will have the flexowriter and other goodies... No pedistal for the Flexowriter, but on the bright side it will fit on a table.
                  >> That had better be one hell of a table, those things weigh a ton!
                  >
                  > Our PDP-8 weighs 250 lbs. and sits quite safely on a metal table.

                  Like I said...one hell of a table. ;)

                  Dave McGuire
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                    I need to look at the model number.

                    I can carry it myself up say a flight of stairs. Not too heavy

                    --
                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                      > I need to look at the model number.
                      >
                      > I can carry it myself up say a flight of stairs. Not too heavy

                      5100 series weighs around 50 pounds. The drive is a different story ....