New IMSAI

  • josh6502
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm new in town, I recently got an IMASI and was messaging with Mike Loewen. He invited me to this group. I hope I can get some tips and help to get my IMSAI up and running.

      At the moment, I can't seem to deposit into RAM.

      I have a MPU-A Rev 4 CPU Card, and 2 memory cards 16KRA, 16KRA-1.
      I've removed all other floppy controller and IO cards to just try the basics. I put in the 16KRA board and when I examine RAM from any of it's banks (0x4000 to 0x7FFF), the data lights flicker. I thought once you read a location, the LED's would latch, but the flickering implies that it's a continous read of that location??? Is that right?
      If I read any other address (NON-RAM or EMPTY), the LED's just all come on solid (Active pull up on the bus?).

      The other RAM card (16KRA-1) is not responding at all, perhaps I need jumper settings to be changed on it.

      Would the Floppy controllers I have impact the operation of the RAM cards? I saw some kind of jumper for mapping out the RAM until the system boots up...

      Thanks all for any advice.

      Regards,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
        >>> I'm new in town, I recently got an IMASI and was messaging with Mike Loewen. He invited me to this group.

        Welcome! Where do you live?

        - Evan K., group prez
      • josh6502
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
          Thank you. I'm in Toronto, Canada.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
            >>> I'm in Toronto, Canada

            You should meet up with Mike ("Mouse") Kelly, who's also in our group and lives in Toronto as well.

            PS - we prefer bottom-posting.
          • josh6502
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011

              > You should meet up with Mike ("Mouse") Kelly, who's also in our group and lives in Toronto as well.
              >
              > PS - we prefer bottom-posting.

              No problem, it reminds me of the BBS days. Say, I wonder if there are any BBS's still running?

              I'll try to get in touch with Mike through the "Members" section.
              Thanks!
              Josh
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
                On 11/27/2011 12:27 AM, josh6502 wrote:
                > No problem, it reminds me of the BBS days. Say, I wonder if there are any BBS's still running?

                There's at least one; I've seen it mentioned on occasion on another
                list, but I don't recall who/where/what off the top of my head.

                I'd put one up myself if I thought anyone would actually use it. I
                really miss those days. I ran an RCP/M BBS in NJ in the early 1980s,
                then later moved to ROS (also under CP/M).

                Dave McGuire
                New Kensington, PA
              • josh6502
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011

                  > On 11/27/2011 12:27 AM, josh6502 wrote:
                  > > No problem, it reminds me of the BBS days. Say, I wonder if there are any BBS's still running?
                  >
                  > There's at least one; I've seen it mentioned on occasion on another
                  > list, but I don't recall who/where/what off the top of my head.
                  >
                  > I'd put one up myself if I thought anyone would actually use it. I
                  > really miss those days. I ran an RCP/M BBS in NJ in the early 1980s,
                  > then later moved to ROS (also under CP/M).
                  >
                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave McGuire
                  > New Kensington, PA

                  In the early 90's I ran one using SearchLight BBS software with a friend, he chose the software. I would have prefered using QuickBBS.
                  It was a lot of fun, it ran on an 286 with a 500Meg drive that would shake the desk when we defragmented it.

                  IMHO there can be no practical use for BBS's today. But as a lover of old technologies, I will dream of the good old days when every byte counted for something!
                • Ed
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 27, 2011
                    > IMHO there can be no practical use for BBS's today. But as a lover of old technologies, I will dream of the good old days when every byte counted for something!

                    Welcome to the group! I'd like to have an IMSAI one day. Too much to do right now, though...

                    In inclined to disagree at least in part with this statement. Banking everything on the Internet is similar to having all your eggs in one basket.

                    A robust backup BBS system could certainly be of use during a communications emergency. Which would be similar to how amateur radio operators maintain an emergency communications network in the event that primary communications are out. I'm not sure how much Packet Radio is going on these days, but the last time I was online with one, it was very much BBS oriented.

                    Ed, AD4AX
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 27, 2011
                      At 10:34 AM 11/27/2011, you wrote:

                      > > IMHO there can be no practical use for BBS's today. But as a
                      > lover of old technologies, I will dream of the good old days when
                      > every byte counted for something!
                      > >

                      >Welcome to the group! I'd like to have an IMSAI one day. Too much
                      >to do right now, though...
                      >
                      >In inclined to disagree at least in part with this
                      >statement. Banking everything on the Internet is similar to having
                      >all your eggs in one basket.
                      >
                      >A robust backup BBS system could certainly be of use during a
                      >communications emergency. Which would be similar to how amateur
                      >radio operators maintain an emergency communications network in the
                      >event that primary communications are out. I'm not sure how much
                      >Packet Radio is going on these days, but the last time I was online
                      >with one, it was very much BBS oriented.
                      >
                      >Ed, AD4AX

                      There is a lot of Packet Radio happening, I have been looking into
                      this, but I am just starting to learn how it works, etc. A BBS
                      interface for telnet type ethernet would be how BBS will survive into
                      the 21st c.
                    • Kelly D. Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 27, 2011
                        Bill Degnan wrote:
                        > There is a lot of Packet Radio happening, I have been looking into
                        > this, but I am just starting to learn how it works, etc. A BBS
                        > interface for telnet type Ethernet would be how BBS will survive into
                        > the 21st c.
                        I guess it depends on where you are. I run the dx cluster for the local
                        Sussex county NJ radio club. I get about 2 connections per month via
                        radio. Rest are through the internet. I also link the dxspider to a
                        local packet bbs. Activity wise, it is dead. A shame, but all of the
                        local OEM's have gone VOIP via cellular networks. Which of course die
                        when the cell network collapses like it did here in October during the
                        snow storm and during Irene a few months earlier.

                        Meanwhile, I can talk around the world with 100 watts while driving my
                        car.

                        The OEM and red cross both claim it has to be this way because of HIPPA
                        requirements.

                        73 de Kelly
                        KB2SYD
                      • josh6502
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 29, 2011
                          > You should meet up with Mike ("Mouse") Kelly, who's also in our group and lives in Toronto as well.

                          Hi Evan,

                          I can't find Mike Kelly's email in the members list. Can you some how help find it for me please?

                          Thanks,
                          Josh
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 29, 2011

                            He's at mouse@...