Running Altair 4K BASIC v 3.2 on an Altair

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2011
      I have finally perfected an "easy" process of loading and running BASIC on
      an Altair computer with 8080 processor. There are directions online by
      others, but none of them are 100% correct, and they leave out some
      important details. I know Dan had IMSAI BASIC on a ePROM that was
      compatible with the Altair, but we never got Altair BASIC that I know of
      running off a ePROM. I am pretty sure Dan also had downloaded and run
      Altair BASIC at some point, Rich Cini too, I guess you can add me to the
      list of MARCHins who have pulled this off.

      Does MARCH's Altair have a MITS 2SIO card? Any MITS IO card? If so, we
      can reproduce the process there at InfoAge for the museum display. Also,
      we can download old BASIC programs from Creative Computing onto the Altair
      via a laptop serial port. I have the complete set of these programs on my
      web site.

      In the meantime I am going to work on getting Altair BASIC onto 4 2708's or
      2 2716s.

      I'll post directions and hardware requirements on my web site tonight, I
      have been starting from scratch and re-running to be sure I have it right.

      Next - Load BASIC from papertape.

      Bill Degnan