Busy, busy day at museum!!

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2011
      Lots of productive things happened at the museum today.

      This morning was the TIROS landmark designation ceremony, sponsored by the local IEEE chapter. Jeff B. attended on MARCH's behalf. Details here: https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/meeting_view/list_meeting/8849 (for anyone not aware: TIROS was the first weather-tracking satellite, and Camp Evans, now the InfoAge Science Center, was one of the ground tracking stations -- ergo our big honkin' satellite dish.)

      Meanwhile, Brian S. and I (and my girlfriend Alise, who's starting to get into the InfoAge spirit!) finished rescuing assorted microcomputer hardware, software, and books from a woman's house in nearby Toms River. Alise and I sorted things; Brian provided boxes and transportation.

      Alise and I got back to InfoAge around noon. She vacuumed in our minicomputer exhibit while I cleaned and prepared a space for Brian's (now our) MicroVAX-II.

      By 1:00 the IEEE people and their guests, which includes adults and children, toured the museum in a few waves. Many stopped by to see our computer exhibits, and they were all excellent visitors -- knowledgeable adults, well-behaved children, and they all asked good questions. That lasted until around 3:00.

      Brian got back from the Toms River house around 2:00. Jeff J. and Alise helped him unload the SUV and put stuff in our storage area. Brian proceeded to set up the MicroVAX. MARCH's VT-100 was not working, and is yellowed to the point of being unpresentable anyhow, so we connected the computer to our VT-180 Robin -- that was a gift to us a few years ago from the MIT Museum, and it's in excellent condition. It looks practically new, and Brian got the computer and terminal communicating with each other in no time. (Yes, I know the Robin isn't just a terminal, but rather a full Z-80 computer. Alas, we're using it in terminal mode for this exhibit.)

      Jeff B. during this time made a Home Depot run for us -- we bought an additional bookshelf and some industrial-strength velcro for one of the Prime 6550 CPU doors, so that we can open/close it for demo purposes without having the use the turn screw each time. Also, Jeff J. and I put a longer shelf into the single-board computer exhibit, in order to show off our Bellmac-8 thanks to Rolf L.

      And last but not least, both Jeffs brought a display case into the mainframe exhibit, so we can show things like some UNIVAC parts, our board of transistors from a MOBIDIC, our original UNIVAC 1 diagnostic manual, and a very nice picture of the early UNIVAC development team -- all without worry of visitors damaging anything. The case has some vinyl lettering on the front from its previous owner (a jewelry store); Alise cleaned it up and now it looks pretty good. Jeff B. helped me put two framed UNIVAC pictures onto a shelf (one of a card sorter and one of a printer) -- the manual and pictures were all gifts from the two ex-UNIVAC employees who lectured at VCF this year.

      So ....... very busy day, and we got a quite a lot done! The mainframe/mini room (now one big room, no longer artificially divided by a cubicle wall) looks better than it ever has. There's all sorts of color, pictures, books, computers, etc. ...... almost as if we knew what we're doing.  :)

      A couple of pictures, with my usual apology for the lousy camera and lack of photo-taking skills:

      http://snarc.net/back_wall.jpg Left to right: MicroVAX-II, tape drive (I forget the model), VT-180 Robin, KSR-33, PDP-11/20 and peripherals, PDP-8, IBM stuff 029 / 1130 stuff beyond that.

      I'll make some posters for the VAX, etc. in mid-December when I have some time off work.

      http://www.snarc.net/microvax_II.jpg

      Our new * fully working * minicomputer and Brian, aka Vaxman, who kindly donated it today.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2011

        A couple of pictures, with my usual apology for the lousy camera and lack of photo-taking skills:

        http://snarc.net/back_wall.jpg Left to right: MicroVAX-II, tape drive (I forget the model), VT-180 Robin, KSR-33, PDP-11/20 and peripherals, PDP-8, IBM stuff 029 / 1130 stuff beyond that.

        I'll make some posters for the VAX, etc. in mid-December when I have some time off work.

        http://www.snarc.net/microvax_II.jpg

        Our new * fully working * minicomputer and Brian, aka Vaxman, who kindly donated it today.

        I like the room without the divider.  Nice job.

        Bill
      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2011
          On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          A couple of pictures, with my usual apology for the lousy camera and lack of photo-taking skills:

          http://snarc.net/back_wall.jpg Left to right: MicroVAX-II, tape drive (I forget the model), VT-180 Robin, KSR-33, PDP-11/20 and peripherals, PDP-8, IBM stuff 029 / 1130 stuff beyond that.

          I'll make some posters for the VAX, etc. in mid-December when I have some time off work.

          http://www.snarc.net/microvax_II.jpg

          Our new * fully working * minicomputer and Brian, aka Vaxman, who kindly donated it today.

          I like the room without the divider.  Nice job.

          Bill

           As Bill said, great work!

          - Alex
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2011
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

            >Lots of productive things happened at the museum today.
            >
            >This morning was the TIROS landmark designation ceremony, sponsored by
            >the local IEEE chapter. Jeff B. attended on MARCH's behalf. Details
            >here: https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/meeting_view/list_meeting/8849
            >(for anyone not aware: TIROS was the first weather-tracking satellite,
            >and Camp Evans, now the InfoAge Science Center, was one of the ground
            >tracking stations -- ergo our big honkin' satellite dish.)
            >
            >Meanwhile, Brian S. and I (and my girlfriend Alise, who's starting to
            >get into the InfoAge spirit!) finished rescuing assorted microcomputer
            >hardware, software, and books from a woman's house in nearby Toms River.
            >Alise and I sorted things; Brian provided boxes and transportation.

            And braun. Oh, my aching back and shoulder.

            FWIW, 16 "banker boxes" <http://preview.tinyurl.com/10BankerBoxes>
            worth of books and doc., and several milk create and assorted other
            boxes chock full of sundry bits of kit.

            >Alise and I got back to InfoAge around noon. She vacuumed in our
            >minicomputer exhibit while I cleaned and prepared a space for Brian's
            >(now our) MicroVAX-II.
            >
            >By 1:00 the IEEE people and their guests, which includes adults and
            >children, toured the museum in a few waves. Many stopped by to see our
            >computer exhibits, and they were all excellent visitors -- knowledgeable
            >adults, well-behaved children, and they all asked good questions. That
            >lasted until around 3:00.
            >
            >Brian got back from the Toms River house around 2:00. Jeff J. and Alise
            >helped him unload the SUV and put stuff in our storage area. Brian
            >proceeded to set up the MicroVAX. MARCH's VT-100 was not working, and is
            >yellowed to the point of being unpresentable anyhow, so we connected the
            >computer to our VT-180 Robin -- that was a gift to us a few years ago
            >from the MIT Museum, and it's in excellent condition. It looks
            >practically new, and Brian got the computer and terminal communicating
            >with each other in no time. (Yes, I know the Robin isn't just a
            >terminal, but rather a full Z-80 computer. Alas, we're using it in
            >terminal mode for this exhibit.)

            Without the associated disk drives, it probably won't ever work as a
            VT-180.

            Evan, I checked the docs on the VT-1x0 SETUP. Change the SETUP-B bits
            for the characteristics you desire (see the label on the bottom of the
            VT-100 kbd in the box below the table for details) and then use SHIFT-
            S to save. I remembered it was SHIFT-something. I'd tried the SETUP
            key but never thought to try the S.

            >Jeff B. during this time made a Home Depot run for us -- we bought an
            >additional bookshelf and some industrial-strength velcro for one of the
            >Prime 6550 CPU doors, so that we can open/close it for demo purposes
            >without having the use the turn screw each time. Also, Jeff J. and I put
            >a longer shelf into the single-board computer exhibit, in order to show
            >off our Bellmac-8 thanks to Rolf L.
            >
            >And last but not least, both Jeffs brought a display case into the
            >mainframe exhibit, so we can show things like some UNIVAC parts, our
            >board of transistors from a MOBIDIC, our original UNIVAC 1 diagnostic
            >manual, and a very nice picture of the early UNIVAC development team --
            >all without worry of visitors damaging anything. The case has some vinyl
            >lettering on the front from its previous owner (a jewelry store); Alise
            >cleaned it up and now it looks pretty good. Jeff B. helped me put two
            >framed UNIVAC pictures onto a shelf (one of a card sorter and one of a
            >printer) -- the manual and pictures were all gifts from the two
            >ex-UNIVAC employees who lectured at VCF this year.
            >
            >So ....... very busy day, and we got a quite a lot done! The
            >mainframe/mini room (now one big room, no longer artificially divided by
            >a cubicle wall) looks better than it ever has. There's all sorts of
            >color, pictures, books, computers, etc. ...... almost as if we knew what
            >we're doing. :)
            >
            >A couple of pictures, with my usual apology for the lousy camera and
            >lack of photo-taking skills:
            >
            >http://snarc.net/back_wall.jpg Left to right: MicroVAX-II, tape drive (I
            >forget the model), VT-180 Robin, KSR-33, PDP-11/20 and peripherals,
            >PDP-8, IBM stuff 029 / 1130 stuff beyond that.
            >
            >I'll make some posters for the VAX, etc. in mid-December when I have
            >some time off work.
            >
            >http://www.snarc.net/microvax_II.jpg
            >
            >Our new * fully working * minicomputer and Brian, aka Vaxman, who kindly
            >donated it today.

            The museum floor actually lists by 10deg. as shown in that pic. :P
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2011

              -------------------------------------^^^^^^ crate
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2011
                On 11/14/2011 07:21 AM, system@... wrote:
                > Without the associated disk drives, it probably won't ever work as a
                > VT-180.

                I have at least one extra RX180 subsystem, aside from the one on my
                own VT180. Evan, once I get the rest of that stuff up here from FL,
                I'll test that RX180, and if it's ok, I'll get it out to you.

                Dave McGuire
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 14, 2011
                  >>> I have at least one extra RX180 subsystem, aside from the one on my
                  own VT180. Evan, once I get the rest of that stuff up here from FL, I'll test that RX180, and if it's ok, I'll get it out to you.

                  Thanks.

                  I think the drive may be in some other box in our museum storage areas. We'll look for it.
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 14, 2011
                    "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                    >own VT180. Evan, once I get the rest of that stuff up here from FL,
                    >I'll test that RX180, and if it's ok, I'll get it out to you.
                    >
                    >Thanks.
                    >
                    >I think the drive may be in some other box in our museum storage areas.
                    >We'll look for it.

                    After verifying the video on the Rainbow yesterday, I have the video
                    cable needed for it. Maybe, if there's not much doing next weekend,
                    I can hook that up and see it it's working too.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 26, 2011
                      Evan,

                      The VT-180 drives are there neatly packaged in their original boxes - just like the basic terminal. Keep looking. There is also a full set of documentation. The stuff needs to be cataloged!

                      Jim