Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: updating an old quotation

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 11/09/2011 12:09 AM, Jeff Jonas wrote: >> DLT (I know you don't know
      >this because it was a d|i|g|i|t|a|l >> technology) was exceeding 100GB
      >in 2000. > > I've not been in a DEC shop for decades. And programmers
      >are rarely > in the machine room anymore.
      >
      > DLT drives are everywhere; not just in DEC shops. All major computer
      >and subsystem manufacturers and integrators sell DLT subsystems.
      >
      > DEC developed the basic technology (starting with the TK50) almost
      >thirty years ago, but sold it, along with the rest of the storage
      >division, to Quantum long ago.

      ;)

      > If anything, this is a "Sun shop", and my backups here are to a
      >StorageTek-built tape juke that holds 64 DLT tapes (SDLT-220) and has
      >four drives.
      >
      >>> Current tape technologies (LTO for example) are well into excesses >>
      >of 1TB range. > > Yay! But until/unless I have any access to any, it's
      >just nice to > know. That's one of my "standard rants". With tape
      >cartridges costing > around $25 but the drives costing $1,500, why don't
      >Staples, Kinko's > or such offer a service where I bring in my laptop or
      >hard drive and > just borrow/rent their tape drive for backup/restore?
      >It's still > cheaper than buying more hard drives and a lot more rugged.
      >I've had > hard drives die from the merest shock.
      >
      > Why not just goet a DLT drive and some tapes? They don't really cost
      >$25 and $1500, because you're smart enough to not buy the absolute
      >latest, brand new, most dense drives and media.
      >
      > With all due respect to Brian, current tape technology (as
      >represented by the Oracle/StorageTek T10000C) sits at about 5TB per
      >tape, uncompressed.

      I did say newer technologies were well into the excess TB range.

      > You can get SDLT-220 drives (110GB uncompressed) for less than $100,
      >and media for less than $20/ea, sometimes $10/ea, both used. (which is
      >fine in this case, they're both very hardy)
      >
      >> The tape drive itself isn't so large, so I could bring that along to >
      >assure reading on the other end (so long as the interface is >
      >supported, or are some just ethernet now?)
      >
      > None are Ethernet...iSCSI notwithstanding, Ethernet isn't a storage
      >interconnect. There are certainly iSCSI chassis containing tape drives,
      >but the native drive interface typically isn't iSCSI. Less-than-latest
      >SDLT drives use Ultra320 SCSI (68-pin LVD), while some of the later ones
      >have native SAS and FibreChannel. All very easy to interface.

      Yeah, my stacker is Ultra320 LVD SCSI but the SAN is FC. As far as I'm
      concerned, I can fire up my backups and walk away from it. I haven't a
      need for "instant gratification" there. And, all my drives are shadow
      sets of 3 drives. My procedure DISMOUNTs a drive with /POLICY=MINICOPY
      and does the backup to tape. When she's done, the drive is placed back
      into the shadow set and anything that occurred while out of the set is
      automagically copied to restore the shadow set's consistency. Downtime
      is not an option. And DLT carts fit into my bank safe-deposit box too,
      whereas a CD/DVD will not.