Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Remote Desktop Connection Software

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
      B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

      >Try first, if you have the professional version of Windows to use Remote
      >Desktop (host and client) as these are already installed on your PC.
      >The HOME versions of Windows does not have it. Bill

      If you have/use Linux, there are several things that provide RDP & RDPv5.

      rdesktop -- http://www.rdesktop.org/

      Terminal Server Client -- http://tsclient.sourceforge.net/

      I prefer the latter as it keeps several technologies all bound in one
      place: RDP, RDPv5, VNC, XDMCP and ICA... I added Xnest to mine too.
    • M. Edward Wilborne, III
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
        It's best to use a product like teamviewer or logmein.  Not only are they free, they help you deal with all the issues that otherwise arise from dealing with client/sever software (like remote desktop connection, or VNC) that require certain ports (like tcp 3369, or something) to be open and then having to deal with network address and port translation through your firewall to your machine that is generally private numbered.  If you're behind multiple NAT devices (which isn't uncommon with a typical ADSL router from the phone company and an owner installed wireless router), the configuration for Remote Desktop is even more complicated.

        So even though Remote Desktop is free and included with Windows (and maybe there are clients/servers for other operating systems), it still isn't a great tool for hassle free connectivity.  Both teamviewer and logmein include high levels of encryption as well, so the connections are secure between the machines.  I believe teamviewer supports a "don't install me option" so that the software can be used but doesn't reside permanently on your machine, if that is an issue.  And logmein is all web browser based (there is an optional plug-in for firefox, but it uses web browser/Java).

        Ed

        On 11/3/2011 9:33 AM, system@... wrote:

        B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

        >Try first, if you have the professional version of Windows to use Remote
        >Desktop (host and client) as these are already installed on your PC.
        >The HOME versions of Windows does not have it. Bill

        If you have/use Linux, there are several things that provide RDP & RDPv5.

        rdesktop -- http://www.rdesktop.org/

        Terminal Server Client -- http://tsclient.sourceforge.net/

        I prefer the latter as it keeps several technologies all bound in one
        place: RDP, RDPv5, VNC, XDMCP and ICA... I added Xnest to mine too.

      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
          And there is a real thin version of logmein that requires no installed plug in or log in.

          have both parties go to join.me

          not www.join.me, just join.me

          Click on share on one machine, when the app downloads and runs that person will be given a 9 digit number. The other then enters that in on the join box and away you go.

          So simple my father can use it.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
            "M. Edward Wilborne, III" <wilborne@...> writes:

            >It's best to use a product like teamviewer or logmein. Not only are
            >they free, they help you deal with all the issues that otherwise arise
            >from dealing with client/sever software (like remote desktop connection,
            >or VNC) that require certain ports (like tcp 3369, or something) to be
            >open and then having to deal with network address and port translation
            >through your firewall to your machine that is generally private
            >numbered. If you're behind multiple NAT devices (which isn't uncommon
            >with a typical ADSL router from the phone company and an owner installed
            >wireless router), the configuration for Remote Desktop is even more
            >complicated.

            I have only had to use the RDP once; in fact, just last weekend. I don't
            do WEENDOZE, nor recommend that anyone do it either. I only mentioned it
            because it got me into a corporate site to connect to a WEENDOZE box that
            the corporate customer connnected to a large system's console port and it
            seemed to work.

            XDMCP and, to a lesser extent, VNC I've used a bit more often. I had an
            occasion to use ICA only once too. That was a much more troublesome but
            there may be more stable in recent releases.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
                My Windows 7 Home Premium has the client software, Remote Desktop Connection in the Accessories folder.