RE: [midatlanticretro] Articles Related to today's event in D.C.

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
      This isn't funny anymore. Has somebody griped to Yahoo yet?

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
        > This isn't funny anymore. Has somebody griped to Yahoo yet?

        I'll search for a way to do so tonight.
      • Alexey Toptygin
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
          On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

          > This isn't funny anymore. Has somebody griped to Yahoo yet?

          I have a friend who unsubscribed from a yahoo mailing list a year ago, and
          started getting mail from it again a few weeks ago. He's been escalating
          repeatedly over the last couple of weeks, and can't get in touch with
          anyone in the yahoo organization who can do anything about it, despite the
          fact that he works in the email deiverability space and knows several
          people that used to work for the email part of yahoo. Yahoo's mail
          services seem to be falling over from neglect...

          Alexey
        • M. Edward Wilborne, III
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
            There are plenty of non free lists that don't have these issues (they're likely to have their own unique other issues, though :D )

            Otherwise, I think we're getting what we paid for.

            Ed

            On 11/2/2011 3:55 PM, Alexey Toptygin wrote:

            On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

            > This isn't funny anymore. Has somebody griped to Yahoo yet?

            I have a friend who unsubscribed from a yahoo mailing list a year ago, and
            started getting mail from it again a few weeks ago. He's been escalating
            repeatedly over the last couple of weeks, and can't get in touch with
            anyone in the yahoo organization who can do anything about it, despite the
            fact that he works in the email deiverability space and knows several
            people that used to work for the email part of yahoo. Yahoo's mail
            services seem to be falling over from neglect...

            Alexey

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
              They are aware , a note has been posted on the Group Managers forum

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                On 11/02/2011 04:04 PM, M. Edward Wilborne, III wrote:
                > There are plenty of non free lists that don't have these issues (they're
                > likely to have their own unique other issues, though :D )

                And why anyone would use such a service is something that I'll never
                understand!

                > Otherwise, I think we're getting what we paid for.

                True. And Yahoo! has been circling the drain for a while now.

                I may have offered this before, but if I haven't, I will do so now.

                I have a "big" mail server here. It has hosted several lists, some
                large, for many years, and handles email for many people and several
                companies. It runs on grownup hardware on a serious network, with a
                history of precisely zero data loss in nearly twenty years.

                If this list needs a new home, I'm happy to host it here, for free.
                The current list administrator(s) would retain complete control. We
                could also give it a less ghetto feeling with a real domain name,
                because nothing screams "amateur" better than a yahoo/hotmail/gmail/etc
                email address.

                Dave McGuire
                New Kensington, PA
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  > If this list needs a new home, I'm happy to host it here, for free.
                  >The current list administrator(s) would retain complete control. We
                  >could also give it a less ghetto feeling with a real domain name,
                  >because nothing screams "amateur" better than a yahoo/hotmail/gmail/etc
                  >email address.

                  LOL!

                  I'd prefer a real listserv but what about the people that login to Yoohoo
                  to read and post there?
                • Systems Glitch
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                    > I'd prefer a real listserv but what about the people that login to Yoohoo
                    > to read and post there?

                    Perhaps offer up a HTML digest of the listserv chatter. If people want to post, they can join the listserv (don't they have to join Yahoo anyway?). That would at least maintain the listserv as a search engine indexable reference. It'd certainly give us a better SNR just without the Yahoo boilerplate at the bottom of every message.

                    Do any active MARCHins log in to Yahoo to do their reading/posting as-is?

                    Jonathan
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> writes:

                      >If people want to post, they can join the listserv (don't they have to
                      >join Yahoo anyway?).

                      I can answer this with an emphatic "No!" I joined as if using a typical
                      Listserv. I do not have nor have I ever had a Yoohoo account.