Re: [midatlanticretro] Number of early computers

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
      Here is a useful page with article links, it does not give exact numbers of
      computers, but it will give you a basic idea. In summary at first there
      were very few but by the 1960's there were hundreds if not thousands of
      mainframes and mini's.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/analog-digital.cfm

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi Guys,

        Thanks for your help.

        I also found a site from The Computer History Museum

        http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr

        which gives some interesting sales data for the early machines.

        It's absolutely amazing to look from where we came!

        Ron K
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Ron

          There were around 175 computers installed from 1945-1963, according to
          the book, "An Introduction to Automatic Computers," by Ned Chapin.