Re: [midatlanticretro] Number of early computers

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
      RonK <rkushnier@...> wrote:

      >Hi Guys,
      >
      >I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
      >(mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
      >(1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Ron

      I have articles on my site with this info.
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
        Here is a useful page with article links, it does not give exact numbers of
        computers, but it will give you a basic idea. In summary at first there
        were very few but by the 1960's there were hundreds if not thousands of
        mainframes and mini's.

        http://vintagecomputer.net/analog-digital.cfm

        Bill Degnan

        > >I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
        > >(mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
        > >(1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?

      • RonK
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
          Hi Guys,

          Thanks for your help.

          I also found a site from The Computer History Museum

          http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr

          which gives some interesting sales data for the early machines.

          It's absolutely amazing to look from where we came!

          Ron K
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
            > Hi Guys,
            >
            > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Ron

            There were around 175 computers installed from 1945-1963, according to
            the book, "An Introduction to Automatic Computers," by Ned Chapin.