Re: [midatlanticretro] Number of early computers

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2 4:25 AM
      On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, RonK wrote:

      > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
      > (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
      > (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?

      Try this, for a start:

      http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/BRL61.html

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2 4:29 AM
        RonK <rkushnier@...> wrote:

        >Hi Guys,
        >
        >I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
        >(mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
        >(1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Ron

        I have articles on my site with this info.
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2 6:34 AM
          Here is a useful page with article links, it does not give exact numbers of
          computers, but it will give you a basic idea. In summary at first there
          were very few but by the 1960's there were hundreds if not thousands of
          mainframes and mini's.

          http://vintagecomputer.net/analog-digital.cfm

          Bill Degnan

          > >I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
          > >(mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
          > >(1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?

        • RonK
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2 3:28 PM
            Hi Guys,

            Thanks for your help.

            I also found a site from The Computer History Museum

            http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr

            which gives some interesting sales data for the early machines.

            It's absolutely amazing to look from where we came!

            Ron K
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2 3:34 PM
              > Hi Guys,
              >
              > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Ron

              There were around 175 computers installed from 1945-1963, according to
              the book, "An Introduction to Automatic Computers," by Ned Chapin.