Number of early computers

  • RonK
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
      Hi Guys,

      I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?

      Thanks

      Ron
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
        On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, RonK wrote:

        > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
        > (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
        > (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?

        Try this, for a start:

        http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/BRL61.html

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
          RonK <rkushnier@...> wrote:

          >Hi Guys,
          >
          >I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers
          >(mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days
          >(1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Ron

          I have articles on my site with this info.
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
            Here is a useful page with article links, it does not give exact numbers of
            computers, but it will give you a basic idea. In summary at first there
            were very few but by the 1960's there were hundreds if not thousands of
            mainframes and mini's.

            http://vintagecomputer.net/analog-digital.cfm

            Bill Degnan

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
              Hi Guys,

              Thanks for your help.

              I also found a site from The Computer History Museum

              http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr

              which gives some interesting sales data for the early machines.

              It's absolutely amazing to look from where we came!

              Ron K
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > I'm doing a presentation and need to know how many computers (mainframes) were in existence in the U.S. in the early days (1950-1960's). Anyone know of a good website that supplies this info?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Ron

                There were around 175 computers installed from 1945-1963, according to
                the book, "An Introduction to Automatic Computers," by Ned Chapin.