Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Today is 11111

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
      Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

      >On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote: >
      >
      >> > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec) > > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin). > > 8 or
      >-8???
      >
      >Dude, did you get any sleep??? When one specifies a size, in this case

      Were did one specify the size? We're back at my first post.

      >5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is
      >limited from -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1 Unless of course, you intend to
      >use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies
      >
      >> > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation
      >in > hardware.
      >
      >jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;) Don't tell me, did
      >you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your
      >ALU for class ??
      >
      >Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
      >Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
      >Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
      >among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,

      No shite sherlock but I don't have to treat that addition as producing
      a negative. I'm perfectly happy, with my example, to continue counting
      to 15 (1111) and then start it all over again. Of course, I'd generate
      an OVERFLOW exception or set some overflow flag/status bit but I don't
      necessarily have to. And, yes, I do understand digital logic... 1000
      is not negative unless I intend to treat it as negative. Hence, it's a
      contrivance.

      >Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's. Even
      >DEC knew that ;)

      where and why did they have to do with this?
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

        On Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:

        > No shite sherlock