Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Today is 11111

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

      On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote:

      > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)
      >
      > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).
      >
      > 8 or -8???

      Dude, did you get any sleep???
      When one specifies a size, in this case 5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is limited from
        -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1
      Unless of course, you intend to use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies

      > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
      > hardware.

      jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;)
      Don't tell me, did you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your ALU for class ??

      Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method -- among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as, Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc  -- beginning in the early 60's.
      Even DEC knew that ;)

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
        On 11/01/2011 04:10 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
        > Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
        > Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
        > Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
        > among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,
        > Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's.
        > Even DEC knew that ;)

        Hey. HEY. Watch it there, mister! ;)

        --
        Dave McGuire
        New Kensington, PA
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
          Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

          >On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote: >
          >
          >> > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec) > > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin). > > 8 or
          >-8???
          >
          >Dude, did you get any sleep??? When one specifies a size, in this case

          Were did one specify the size? We're back at my first post.

          >5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is
          >limited from -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1 Unless of course, you intend to
          >use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies
          >
          >> > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation
          >in > hardware.
          >
          >jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;) Don't tell me, did
          >you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your
          >ALU for class ??
          >
          >Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
          >Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
          >Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
          >among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,

          No shite sherlock but I don't have to treat that addition as producing
          a negative. I'm perfectly happy, with my example, to continue counting
          to 15 (1111) and then start it all over again. Of course, I'd generate
          an OVERFLOW exception or set some overflow flag/status bit but I don't
          necessarily have to. And, yes, I do understand digital logic... 1000
          is not negative unless I intend to treat it as negative. Hence, it's a
          contrivance.

          >Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's. Even
          >DEC knew that ;)

          where and why did they have to do with this?
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

            On Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:

            > No shite sherlock