Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Today is 11111

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
      Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

      >On Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM, <system@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
      >> answered how 11111 = 111111. >
      >
      >Because it's a joke, remember, its when your supposed to laugh ;)
      >
      >Twos Complement is not bound to any field, or number coding on whatever
      >system. It's how you implement it in hardware.
      >
      >The only rule (in shorthand) to get 2's Comp is simply 1. Invert Binary
      >Number 2. Add 1

      7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)

      111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).

      8 or -8???

      2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
      hardware.

      So, what you're saying is that if I add enough to 'n' it will eventually
      become negative? I don't remember the number line folding back.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

        On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote:

        > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)
        >
        > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).
        >
        > 8 or -8???

        Dude, did you get any sleep???
        When one specifies a size, in this case 5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is limited from
          -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1
        Unless of course, you intend to use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies

        > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
        > hardware.

        jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;)
        Don't tell me, did you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your ALU for class ??

        Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method -- among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as, Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc  -- beginning in the early 60's.
        Even DEC knew that ;)

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
          On 11/01/2011 04:10 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
          > Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
          > Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
          > Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
          > among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,
          > Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's.
          > Even DEC knew that ;)

          Hey. HEY. Watch it there, mister! ;)

          --
          Dave McGuire
          New Kensington, PA
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
            Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

            >On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote: >
            >
            >> > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec) > > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin). > > 8 or
            >-8???
            >
            >Dude, did you get any sleep??? When one specifies a size, in this case

            Were did one specify the size? We're back at my first post.

            >5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is
            >limited from -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1 Unless of course, you intend to
            >use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies
            >
            >> > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation
            >in > hardware.
            >
            >jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;) Don't tell me, did
            >you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your
            >ALU for class ??
            >
            >Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
            >Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
            >Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
            >among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,

            No shite sherlock but I don't have to treat that addition as producing
            a negative. I'm perfectly happy, with my example, to continue counting
            to 15 (1111) and then start it all over again. Of course, I'd generate
            an OVERFLOW exception or set some overflow flag/status bit but I don't
            necessarily have to. And, yes, I do understand digital logic... 1000
            is not negative unless I intend to treat it as negative. Hence, it's a
            contrivance.

            >Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's. Even
            >DEC knew that ;)

            where and why did they have to do with this?
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

              On Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:

              > No shite sherlock