Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Today is 11111

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

      On Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM, <system@...> wrote:

      > I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
      > answered how 11111 = 111111.

      Because it's a joke, remember, its when your supposed to laugh ;)

      Twos Complement is not bound to any field, or number coding on whatever system. It's how you implement it in hardware.

      The only rule (in shorthand) to get 2's Comp is simply
      1. Invert Binary Number
      2. Add 1

      11/1/11: 11111 is 5bit binary math - and it's still -1
      11/11/11: 111111 is 6bit binary math - and it's also -1

      The two have no logic, digital, or electronic system in common - its just math.

      =Dan

    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >On Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM, <system@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
        >> answered how 11111 = 111111. >
        >
        >Because it's a joke, remember, its when your supposed to laugh ;)
        >
        >Twos Complement is not bound to any field, or number coding on whatever
        >system. It's how you implement it in hardware.
        >
        >The only rule (in shorthand) to get 2's Comp is simply 1. Invert Binary
        >Number 2. Add 1

        7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)

        111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).

        8 or -8???

        2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
        hardware.

        So, what you're saying is that if I add enough to 'n' it will eventually
        become negative? I don't remember the number line folding back.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

          On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote:

          > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)
          >
          > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).
          >
          > 8 or -8???

          Dude, did you get any sleep???
          When one specifies a size, in this case 5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is limited from
            -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1
          Unless of course, you intend to use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies

          > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
          > hardware.

          jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;)
          Don't tell me, did you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your ALU for class ??

          Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method -- among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as, Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc  -- beginning in the early 60's.
          Even DEC knew that ;)

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
            On 11/01/2011 04:10 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
            > Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
            > Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
            > Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
            > among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,
            > Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's.
            > Even DEC knew that ;)

            Hey. HEY. Watch it there, mister! ;)

            --
            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
              Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

              >On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote: >
              >
              >> > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec) > > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin). > > 8 or
              >-8???
              >
              >Dude, did you get any sleep??? When one specifies a size, in this case

              Were did one specify the size? We're back at my first post.

              >5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is
              >limited from -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1 Unless of course, you intend to
              >use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies
              >
              >> > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation
              >in > hardware.
              >
              >jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;) Don't tell me, did
              >you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your
              >ALU for class ??
              >
              >Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
              >Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
              >Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
              >among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,

              No shite sherlock but I don't have to treat that addition as producing
              a negative. I'm perfectly happy, with my example, to continue counting
              to 15 (1111) and then start it all over again. Of course, I'd generate
              an OVERFLOW exception or set some overflow flag/status bit but I don't
              necessarily have to. And, yes, I do understand digital logic... 1000
              is not negative unless I intend to treat it as negative. Hence, it's a
              contrivance.

              >Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's. Even
              >DEC knew that ;)

              where and why did they have to do with this?
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

                On Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                > No shite sherlock