Re: OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

  • Curt @ Atari Museum
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
      Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
      the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
      mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
        > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

        I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
        CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
        "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
        for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

        RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
        is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
        the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
        arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
        BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

        Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

        (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
        time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
        day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
        phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
        Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
        phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

        Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
        bothered me:
        1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
        "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
        be able to just start dialing on every phone.
        2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
        extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
        letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
        press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
        email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
        don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
        3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
        feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
        and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
        devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
        you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
        go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

        One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
        and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
        type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
        pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
        separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
        Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
        out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
        settings, but it wasn't there.