Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
      >>> If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)

      I wouldn't say there are * no * bells/whistles. Some of the new ones, and some of th ones coming out in the next few months, are very modern.

      What I love about my BlackBerry (on my third one because of upgrades) in no particular order:
      - its keyboard is GREAT vs most others
      - email is very good, and better aftermarket email clients are available
      - reception is good
      - battery is decent and removable
      - plenty of apps, not as slick as iOS/Android but they're useful
      - good customization options
      - web browser is tolerable
      - non-touchscreen version is still easy to navigate (has optical mouse)
      - memory card slot
      - good wifi and gps reception
      - most people love BB Messenger although I don't use it
      - productivity apps are easy to use (calendar, office suite, calc, etc.)
      - most of the time it "just works"

      What I hate about it:
      - lousy camera
      - annual (or more) BB service outage
      - processor can be sluggish sometimes
      - needs reboot once every couple of weeks -- sometimes on it own!
    • Curt @ Atari Museum
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
        Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
        the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
        mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
          > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

          I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
          CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
          "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
          for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

          RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
          is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
          the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
          arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
          BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

          Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

          (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
          time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
          day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
          phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
          Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
          phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

          Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
          bothered me:
          1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
          "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
          be able to just start dialing on every phone.
          2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
          extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
          letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
          press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
          email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
          don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
          3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
          feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
          and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
          devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
          you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
          go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

          One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
          and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
          type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
          pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
          separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
          Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
          out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
          settings, but it wasn't there.