Re: Today is 11111

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
      And next Friday will be 77.

      Mike.
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
        And it's my birthday, so I'm spending it in silicon valley, hopefully getting to Anchor Electronics and HSC to shop for my gifts later today.  Did Fry's last night :)

        Oh, and I'm here speaking at a conference as well.

        Bob

        Sent from my iPad

        On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:25 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        Today is 11111

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

          On Nov 1, 2011 8:41 AM, "Mike Hatch" <mike@...> wrote:

          > And next Friday will be 77.

          <two's comp mode>

          It's  -1 Day

          Or,    Euler's Identity Day,  e^(i*pi)= -1
          Or even,     Complex Number Day,  x^2= -1

          The holiest of numbers ;)

          And both days this month, actually

          =Dan
          </two's comp mode>

        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
            Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

            >It's -1 Day
            >
            >Or, Euler's Identity Day, e^(i*pi)= -1 Or even, Complex Number
            >Day, x^2= -1
            >
            >The holiest of numbers ;)
            >
            >And both days this month, actually

            How do you figure? You haven't identified the field. Neither would be
            negative on most modern byte designated architectures nor in most of the
            typed languages. Are you a BLISS coder? ;)

            And I believe that Euler's Identity is e^(i*Pi) -1 = 0 relating all of
            the five fundamental mathematical constants.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

              On Nov 1, 2011 10:25 AM, <system@...> wrote:

              > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
              >
              > >It's  -1 Day
              > >
              > >Or,    Euler's Identity Day,  e^(i*pi)= -1 Or even,     Complex Number
              > >Day,  x^2= -1
              > >
              > >The holiest of numbers ;)
              > >
              > >And both days this month, actually
              >
              > How do you figure?  You haven't identified the field.  Neither would be
              > negative on most modern byte designated architectures nor in most of the
              > typed languages.  Are you a BLISS coder? ;)

              It's all relative. The Binary number system has no restrictive fields. Binary can be any length. It's first a mathematical number system, before you ever define a computer system. That's why you don't see leading zeros. You must be a real party pooper ;)

              > And I believe that Euler's Identity is e^(i*Pi) -1 = 0 relating all of
              > the five fundamental mathematical constants.

              Eh-hem, RTFM
              e^(i*Pi) +1 = 0
              Before you use the inverse property

            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                >On Nov 1, 2011 10:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
                >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > > >It's -1 Day > > > >Or,
                >Euler's Identity Day, e^(i*pi)= -1 Or even, Complex Number > >Day,
                >x^2= -1 > > > >The holiest of numbers ;) > > > >And both days this
                >month, actually > > How do you figure? You haven't identified the
                >field. Neither would be > negative on most modern byte designated
                >architectures nor in most of the > typed languages. Are you a BLISS
                >coder? ;) >
                >
                >It's all relative. The Binary number system has no restrictive fields.
                >Binary can be any length. It's first a mathematical number system,
                >before you ever define a computer system. That's why you don't see
                >leading zeros. You must be a real party pooper ;)

                But in number theory and abstract algebra, you need a field to interpret
                your value and or apply any field axioms. So, I guess what I'm trying to
                understand is how 11111 and 111111 are equivalent. ;)

                >> And I believe that Euler's Identity is e^(i*Pi) -1 = 0 relating all of
                >> the five fundamental mathematical constants. >
                >
                >Eh-hem, RTFM e^(i*Pi) +1 = 0 Before you use the inverse property

                Oops. I had typed that and then move the value over so as not to confuse
                it being past of the exponental group.

                Back to replacing a horked Fibre Channel controller.
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

                  On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM, <system@...> wrote:
                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                  >On Nov 1, 2011 10:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
                  >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > > >It's  -1 Day > > > >Or,
                  >Euler's Identity Day,  e^(i*pi)= -1 Or even,     Complex Number > >Day,
                  >x^2= -1 > > > >The holiest of numbers ;) > > > >And both days this
                  >month, actually > > How do you figure?  You haven't identified the
                  >field.  Neither would be > negative on most modern byte designated
                  >architectures nor in most of the > typed languages.  Are you a BLISS
                  >coder? ;) >
                  >
                  >It's all relative. The Binary number system has no restrictive fields.
                  >Binary can be any length. It's first a mathematical number system,
                  >before you ever define a computer system. That's why you don't see
                  >leading zeros. You must be a real party pooper ;)

                  But in number theory and abstract algebra, you need a field to interpret
                  your value and or apply any field axioms.  So, I guess what I'm trying to
                  understand is how 11111 and 111111 are equivalent. ;)

                  Because you're still thinking in Flip Flops. There's no rule saying you can't use 5bits. Also,  you don't need any hardware to use Binary math -- paper works just fine  -- or to make this joke work ;)

                  I think the term "Field Axiom" in number theory can be misconstrued - the word 'Field' doesn't elude to Flip-Flops, thus, octal or hex coding. The origin is called Axioms whenever you postulate when using math.

                  =Dan

                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                    Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                    >Because you're still thinking in Flip Flops. There's no rule saying you
                    >can't use 5bits. Also, you don't need any hardware to use Binary math
                    >-- paper works just fine -- or to make this joke work ;)

                    Flip-flops? Me. I realize that you can use 5 bits; hence, my comment
                    WRT BLISS. ;)

                    >I think the term "Field Axiom" in number theory can be misconstrued -
                    >the word 'Field' doesn't elude to Flip-Flops, thus, octal or hex coding.
                    >The origin is called Axioms whenever you postulate when using math.

                    I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
                    answered how 11111 = 111111.
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

                      On Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                      > I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
                      > answered how 11111 = 111111.

                      Because it's a joke, remember, its when your supposed to laugh ;)

                      Twos Complement is not bound to any field, or number coding on whatever system. It's how you implement it in hardware.

                      The only rule (in shorthand) to get 2's Comp is simply
                      1. Invert Binary Number
                      2. Add 1

                      11/1/11: 11111 is 5bit binary math - and it's still -1
                      11/11/11: 111111 is 6bit binary math - and it's also -1

                      The two have no logic, digital, or electronic system in common - its just math.

                      =Dan

                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                        >On Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM, <system@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I don't understand where your Flip-Flops comes into this nor have you
                        >> answered how 11111 = 111111. >
                        >
                        >Because it's a joke, remember, its when your supposed to laugh ;)
                        >
                        >Twos Complement is not bound to any field, or number coding on whatever
                        >system. It's how you implement it in hardware.
                        >
                        >The only rule (in shorthand) to get 2's Comp is simply 1. Invert Binary
                        >Number 2. Add 1

                        7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)

                        111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).

                        8 or -8???

                        2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
                        hardware.

                        So, what you're saying is that if I add enough to 'n' it will eventually
                        become negative? I don't remember the number line folding back.
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

                          On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                          > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec)
                          >
                          > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin).
                          >
                          > 8 or -8???

                          Dude, did you get any sleep???
                          When one specifies a size, in this case 5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is limited from
                            -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1
                          Unless of course, you intend to use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies

                          > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation in
                          > hardware.

                          jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;)
                          Don't tell me, did you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your ALU for class ??

                          Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method -- among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as, Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc  -- beginning in the early 60's.
                          Even DEC knew that ;)

                          =Dan

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                            On 11/01/2011 04:10 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                            > Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
                            > Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
                            > Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
                            > among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,
                            > Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's.
                            > Even DEC knew that ;)

                            Hey. HEY. Watch it there, mister! ;)

                            --
                            Dave McGuire
                            New Kensington, PA
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                              Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                              >On Nov 1, 2011 2:58 PM, <system@...> wrote: >
                              >
                              >> > 7(dec)+1(dec) is 8(dec) > > 111(bin)+1(bin) is 1000(bin). > > 8 or
                              >-8???
                              >
                              >Dude, did you get any sleep??? When one specifies a size, in this case

                              Were did one specify the size? We're back at my first post.

                              >5bit >>and<< signed integers (namely 2's comp), your number range is
                              >limited from -(2^(n-1)) to (2^(n-1))-1 Unless of course, you intend to
                              >use doubles(or any multiple) - but then it still applies
                              >
                              >> > 2's comp is a contrivance and has nothing to do with implementation
                              >in > hardware.
                              >
                              >jeesh, we know who failed Digital 101 now do we ;) Don't tell me, did
                              >you actually build an Full Adder >>and<< Subtractor Logic inside your
                              >ALU for class ??
                              >
                              >Two's Complement is the main reason you don't need extra hardware for
                              >Subtractor logic. You simply use Adder Logic only - even in
                              >Multipliers/Dividers. And so became the prevailing dominant method --
                              >among several reasons -- over other signed integer notation, such as,

                              No shite sherlock but I don't have to treat that addition as producing
                              a negative. I'm perfectly happy, with my example, to continue counting
                              to 15 (1111) and then start it all over again. Of course, I'd generate
                              an OVERFLOW exception or set some overflow flag/status bit but I don't
                              necessarily have to. And, yes, I do understand digital logic... 1000
                              is not negative unless I intend to treat it as negative. Hence, it's a
                              contrivance.

                              >Signed Magnitude, One's Comp, etc -- beginning in the early 60's. Even
                              >DEC knew that ;)

                              where and why did they have to do with this?
                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011

                                On Nov 1, 2011 4:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                                > No shite sherlock