[midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
      From: Evan Koblentz
      Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 7:33 PM
      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

      >Jeff B.: You haven't stated your priorities in a smartphone. That makes all
      >the difference.

      I stated that in my first e-mail:

      Wislist:
      1) More message memory (I’m tired of my phone telling me to delete messages
      all the time)
      2) A decent camera
      3) E-mail capability
      4) Web Browsing capability.
      5) Video capability would be nice.

      How do I use it now:
      I mostly use text messaging. I use the phone to call people, but try to
      limit it as it is expensive (I share a plan with two others and there is a
      limited amount of minutes available to us all). I receive calls and use my
      FM transmitter while driving so that I can drive hands free and control the
      volume. I mostly use my phone for work. Text messaging is always
      overflowing. The video camera has been very handy to take pictures at
      various times, when I forgot the "regular" camera. I'd like to use e-mail
      and web so that I can do it from anywhere, not just at the office. I also
      have started using the calendar and trying to keep a schedule with reminders
      etc. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
        I have a Sidekick 4G...
        It's... ok..

        In Android the bad app things happens alot.. I have had to reduce the apps I have because some of them cause problems..

        I find that Apps that are free and use ads cause the most problems.(Angry Birds was a bad app)

        I do like my Atari 2600 emulator...

        The Apple is a lot nicer, but you spend more money.. If money is not an object,,Apple... If it is... Android..
        If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
          >>> If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)

          I wouldn't say there are * no * bells/whistles. Some of the new ones, and some of th ones coming out in the next few months, are very modern.

          What I love about my BlackBerry (on my third one because of upgrades) in no particular order:
          - its keyboard is GREAT vs most others
          - email is very good, and better aftermarket email clients are available
          - reception is good
          - battery is decent and removable
          - plenty of apps, not as slick as iOS/Android but they're useful
          - good customization options
          - web browser is tolerable
          - non-touchscreen version is still easy to navigate (has optical mouse)
          - memory card slot
          - good wifi and gps reception
          - most people love BB Messenger although I don't use it
          - productivity apps are easy to use (calendar, office suite, calc, etc.)
          - most of the time it "just works"

          What I hate about it:
          - lousy camera
          - annual (or more) BB service outage
          - processor can be sluggish sometimes
          - needs reboot once every couple of weeks -- sometimes on it own!
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011

          • Curt @ Atari Museum
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
              Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
              the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
              mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
                > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

                I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
                CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
                "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
                for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

                RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
                is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
                the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
                arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
                BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

                Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

                (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
                time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
                day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
                phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
                Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
                phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

                Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
                bothered me:
                1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
                "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
                be able to just start dialing on every phone.
                2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
                extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
                letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
                press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
                email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
                don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
                3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
                feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
                and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
                devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
                you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
                go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

                One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
                and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
                type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
                pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
                separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
                Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
                out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
                settings, but it wasn't there.